GT I Drive 4 - full suspension - any good for 17 Stone me?

Chris5.5
Chris5.5 Posts: 154
edited June 2008 in MTB beginners
Have seen the bike for £400, but am worried that at 17 Stone, I will sit on the bike and the rear suspension will just bottom out!.

Also will the frame be strong enough for xc, no jumps or major downhill?

Thanks

Chris

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is an air shock - so just have to put more in ;-)

I have an ID XC4 3.0 (see pic), 2005 version, which I belive is the same frame as the one you have seen (Paul's Cycles ;-)). It is good for XC and trails, but you are right, not designed for big jumps and full on DH.

Fork will need a stiffer spring - but worth upgrading to a Tora.

Is a great deal! Pity doesnt have disc hubs.
  • Chris5.5
    edited June 2008
    Thanks for your help, I have had v brakes for a couple of years on the bike I use now. Would like discs, but v's seem to work pretty well and I can upgrade to Magura's in the future as I think discs and would require new wheels.

Am tempted by this as £400 is a lot more affordable than the other bikes I have looked at and the spec is good.

How do I pump the shock up, is it a normal pump or do I need to buy a special one?

Chris
  • Chris5.5
    Forget to add, nice bike, It looks even better in your picture than on the website....wheres me credit card!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    need a special shock pump - about 15 quid or so.

I still can't believe how good a deal that is - the frame is excellent, if it said Orange or Santa Cruz on it, the frame would be flying out on its own for 1000 quid! Fox shock too.