First mountain bike thoughts!

taff_94
taff_94 Posts: 33
edited June 2008 in MTB beginners
Hello there,

I am new to this forum and mountain biking in general, i have been scouring the internet for a reasonable bike for me. Well i think i have found one and it is a mongoose tyax comp 08 from cyclestore.

I am 14 and roughly 5ft 5" so the size small should be a nice fit albeit with a little ajustment. Its ten pound over my budget which doesn't bother me too much.

Anyone with a good input about this bike?

Forgot to mention it would be used for light offroading and onroad for the little ride to my bus stop to catch the school bus.

Regards taff

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Very good bike for the money. Best to sit on one to get the right size, but small seems about right - I wouldnt go smaller, as youy are still growing.
  • taff_94
    Cheers thats what i thought about the growth thing. If i was to upgrade it as i went along would i be able to fit marzocchi z1 2001 forks? I am not sure if they have disk brake fittings.

All help much appreciated

Taff
  • supersonic
    If the steerer is of the right type, and long enough, then yes. But how much travel? may be too long for the bike geometry.
  • taff_94
    They have 130mm of travel and the stock forks are 100mm.
    May i ask what a steerer is? Also what is a crown on forks and i seen somewhere about fork PLUSH what is this?

Cheers taff
  • supersonic
    130mm would be too much I'm afraid. Fork steerer is the the single tube that extends from the crown (the crown holds the two fork uppers). Plush is a term that relates to the smooth feel of the fork.

Its an old fork, good in its day, slightly heavy - I think it wouldn't be best suited to your bike really.
  • taff_94
    Cheers for that, just bought the bike about an hour ago. Do bikes from cycle store require any assembly?
    When i am comfortable with the bike and have used it for a few months i may look at better disk brakes for example haynes or another make like that.

Regards taff
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    I don't know about Cycle Store but usually you just have to mount the handlebars, front wheel, pedals and saddle. Have fun when you get it and take a look at Avid brakes if you decide to upgrade.

Steve C
    Steve C
  • taff_94
    Ok cheers thats no bother then, There the brakes i was lookignat upgrading to anyway. Think i will stick with avid mechanical discs.

Yeah i will deffo have fun around the trails near were i live :D

Can't wait till it gets here,

Regards Taff