Absolute newbie - Sheffield

ipod1972
ipod1972 Posts: 3
edited June 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

As you will see from the banner, I'm a complete newbie to all this. Just ordered my bike and bits and hope to use it initially for commuting to work. I want to begin to experience offroad riding and openly invite all other newbies in the Sheffield area to get in touch to arrange some ride outs...my own fitness level is poor so not looking to go straight at the top end of rides!!!! well not yet!!!!! :lol:

Get in touch and we'll take it from there.

Also a word to the more experienced riders - feel free to post some help and tips, any help would be appreciated.

Stephen

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Where abouts in Sheffield are you? I am from the North (Chapeltown). Am experienced, but very unfit lol
  • ipod1972
    ipod1972 Posts: 3
    Hi Supersonic,

I'm at Kelham Island. Bike should arrive mid-week, looking to do some riding next weekend.

Stephen
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Shalesmoor yeah? You are close to some very nice riding! You can take it easy and follow the river routes, or down Rivelin Valley, or cycle up to Wharncliffe for the great singletrack. Or Greno woods - or out into the peaks!
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Aah supersonic, I've been reading yo posts. I'll be moving to Sheffield from North Wales this summer. Just looking for a house atm with my girl. And Mr Ipod, maybe i'll see you both on the trails. I'll be putting up a thread to find good rides in the near future....
    Mr Ipod, remember: the front brake is your enemy for the first few hours, dominate the rear and learn to love the front brake delicatley. Hang that backside waaaaaay out back like you mean it baby! Keep your centre of gravity behind you on descents and under heavy braking so you don't go over the front. Stand and dance on those pedals, no sitting allowed when off-road - you need to feel the ground beneath you and move back and forth to accomodate. Rolling momentum keeps you upright, slowly trailside crawling is a sure fire way of crashing and burning so keep movng! The faster you go the more stable you remain so long as you are reading the trail in advance. And the bug will come. Love the bug.