Changing Avid BB5 brake pads

scarletleafs
scarletleafs Posts: 7
edited November 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I got some new brake pads for my Avid BB5 disc brakes, and I'm having trouble installing them, I've managed to take out the old pads but I can't the new pair of pads pads in, I can get one in but the other just won't go. I've also tried to put the old pair back in for now but still get stuck with the same problem. I downloaded the instructions from the Avid website but they're not very clear to where I'm going wrong. Any advice would be graetfully received.

:(

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They are very fiddly - I'm afraid perseverance is the key to this one. Once you finally do it, you'll get the knack.
  • supersonic wrote:
    They are very fiddly - I'm afraid perseverance is the key to this one. Once you finally do it, you'll get the knack.

Thanks, I went back to it this morning after a good sleep, still couldn't manage to get the new ones in but I did get the old ones back in, at least I've got to working brakes for now.
  • supersonic wrote:

Thanks, I went back to it this morning after a good sleep, still couldn't manage to get the new ones in but I did get the old ones back in, at least I've got two working brakes for now.
  • riggsy123
    riggsy123 Posts: 62
    have you wound the adjuster dial on the caliper right out as the new pads will be thicker than the old ones.

what pads have you ended up going with?
  • riggsy123 wrote:
    have you wound the adjuster dial on the caliper right out as the new pads will be thicker than the old ones.

what pads have you ended up going with?
    I wound the adjuster dial on the caliper as far is it would go, the new pads that I got are by a company called OBE.
  • Get hold of a torx spanner of the right size for the screw in the middle of the adjustment dial. Unscrew the brake assembly from the forks and loosen the cable so the brake is slack. Unscrew the torx screw and take the metal stopper out entirely. Post the new pads in that big hole making sure they are the right way round, screw the metal stopper back, add the spring clip to the pads, screw the brake back onto the forks and tighten the cable again. Job done! This method also works for removing a jammed pad, you can unscrew the stopper and bash the pad until it loosens.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Er I'm hoping he managed sometime over the last decade....
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Don't exaggerate CD, its only 9.5 years!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.