Whats the consensus on the Giant SCR 1.5

djm778
djm778 Posts: 42
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
Hi all, hope you can help / advise. Im looking to get a new road bike and i'm on a budget of £600 - £700. Looking for a semi-compact 9 - 10 speed with obviously the best specs I can get for my money and a solid frame worthy of a few upgrades over time.

Have looked at lots via the internet and so far most liked is the Giant SCR 1.5 - test riding one this weekend.

Has anyone seen any reviews on the SCR 1.5? Any opinions?

Thanks DJ.

Comments

• Denny69
    Denny69 Posts: 206
    Owning 2 Giants (MTB XTC4 and Road SCR4) I am VERY biased to this brand frames are well built (I weigh in at 20 and a bit stone) so I would definitely say go for the Giant.

I have had no major problems with them both. :wink:

Also the customer support is good IME :)
    Heaven kicked me out and Hell was too afraid I'd take over!!!

Fighting back since 1975!!

Happy riding

Denny
  • nkirussell
    nkirussell Posts: 16
    I test rode one yesterday. It is a nice bike, but didn't seem anything special to me. I went for the Trek 1.5 instead. Test rode it yesterday just after the giant and it just felt a lot more solid, and it felt special. Ok i was not sepnding £2000 pounds but when sepnding £600 i still expect it to feel special.
    I had the dilema for a while before riding them that the giant SCR 2 and 1.5 were better specced than the trek. The trek 1.5 has tiagra rear mech but sora front mech and shifters, where as the SCR1.5 is tiagra throughout. But it is last seasons so they are both 9 speed. However even taking this into consideration and the fact that I could get a SCR 2 (same as SCR1.5 without tiagra chainset and carbon seat post) for £465, i still went for the trek. The frame seemed a lot better to me and is very upgradable!
    But it does come down to personal choice, but as everyone will say you have to go and ride them to decide, but check out the trek.
    IF you do go for a SCR then have a look here http://www.chrisbikes.co.uk/
    hope this helps a little
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    nkirussell wrote:
    The trek 1.5 has tiagra rear mech but sora front mech and shifters, where as the SCR1.5 is tiagra throughout. But it is last seasons so they are both 9 speed. However even taking this into consideration and the fact that I could get a SCR 2 (same as SCR1.5 without tiagra chainset and carbon seat post) for £465, i still went for the trek. The frame seemed a lot better to me and is very upgradable!
    But it does come down to personal choice, but as everyone will say you have to go and ride them to decide, but check out the trek.
    IF you do go for a SCR then have a look here http://www.chrisbikes.co.uk/
    hope this helps a little
    I'd argue that the difference in model of rear/front mech shouldn't be part of a buying decision (though STI shifters are a different matter). I also can't figure out why the Trek's frame is "upgradeable" (which by implication suggests the others aren't).

Try several models in your price bracket and pick the one you like best. It's as simple as that.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I've had mine for 2 months now and couldn't say a bad word about it.

Never runs out of pedalling power downhill and haven't had problems getting uphill (yet) either.

Feels nice and stable at speed. As soon as I test rode one I knew it was the one I wanted. I think the 1.5 looks really good in grey, black and white too, but I am biased!!
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike