Layers

colsa
colsa Posts: 50
edited June 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi guys, just been reading a few threads about clothing and stuff, but im confusing myself with layers.

Lets say im going up the track for a couple of hours, ive got my back pack on with a rain/windproof jacket in, so im covered there.

But what about what im wearing, ive read about these wicking base layer tops, is it best to wear one of these then wear a cycling jersey on top, or can you just wear a cycling jersey?, i mean....errr.... is there a right and a wrong ?,

Comments

• danhx
    danhx Posts: 165
    Depending on wether I wear a matalan thermal base layer, either SS or LS and a jersey over the top (it looks better and has handy pockets). I found even in the winter I could wear the LS and some good gloves... but that could have been because I was a lot less fit and got really hot.

On my legs I always struggled... summer is easy but in winter I find if you wear tracksuit bottoms they just get caked in mud and its colder than wearing shorts as they dont dry out as quickly as skin.

Wearing waterproofs just made me feel like a boil in the bag.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    To be honest, I don't quite get wicking layers. but five wicking layers aren't going to create a conveyor belt to the surface - they'll just stagnate.. You're are never going to create a one-way conveyor belt for sweat by materials alone, it's how you build it. All this wicking fabric, 100% breathable 100% waterproof is mostly sales crap. (OOh i haven't tried crap yet, what will BR sensor me with?) But I do find that those aerotech jerseys don't hold very little moisture so they dry very easily. This is preferable to cotton which holds on to a bucket of water for dear life.
    I usually wear a merrino next to my skin, a jersey over the top then a jacket with lots of zips to get some circulation around me. The theory is that the merrino soaks up sweat (but stays warm against the cold air), and keeps the jersey wet because they are in contact, and the rushing air is constantly drying the jersey which will let go of moisture at every opportunity.
    And it's summer! What kind of a question is this now!? Just go bareback, problem solved.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I just do the Ted Rogers - 3,2,1. Never need more than 3 layers, and mix and match to a maxiumum of 3 depending on conditions.

Base layer is important, but it can be the ONLY layer in summer. Summat that does wick is good! Top layer that is wind proof and water proof yet breathable is desirable. Middle layer for warmth (or leave it out completely). A few combos can be had with just a few pieces that suit many conditions - and canbe changed mid ride and packed away. Go for an all in one, and you cant change it.
  • ylawayjdp
    ylawayjdp Posts: 44
    I use the Helly Hanson base layers they are pretty good and very durable. I have come off wearing only them many times and I managed to come away without tears, skin burns but not tears. Then I have a gore windproof layer which is great and also wicks. Then a windproof shower proof which needs replacing now as it doesn't work unless the rain lasts less than 2 minutes.
  • colsa
    colsa Posts: 50
    Thanks guys, that gives me an idea of what to wear, cos i would of just worn a t-shirt with a fleece, thanks.
  • Paul Sh
    Paul Sh Posts: 607
    edited June 2008
    I go out in a cycling SS i carry a water proof/ wind proof jacket, a close fitting pullover fleece from a mountaneering shop, and a pair of bottoms like what joggers wear, you know the type with the elastic stirup on the bottom, i live on the coast so need to take the lot with me on every run, it's amazing how quick the weather can and dose change. Oh, i also take a buff with me.
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    edited June 2008
    For a general ride with clouds about i would wear something like a helly hansen or cannondale le carbon base layer followed by whatever jersey i fansy.

Followed by whatever tights work best, i usually wear my endura humvee shorts.

This way i have moderate warmth but nothing too heavy.

Just mix and match see what works best for you.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It needn't cost much either - a lot of generic stuff works very well.
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Yes, dhb gear on wiggle is excellent vfm.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X