How about flat bars, can you do 40k plus?

flyer
flyer Posts: 608
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
Just sold my S-WORKS because I want a more relaxed riding position, however I have looked at the Roubaix, but I do like the flat Trek7.9 FX. Some people say you can only do about 40 miles or so on falt bars as they are commuter only bikes?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Some people tour with flat bars and do far more than 40 miles.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Can't see why not, did 70+ on a BMX when I was a kid!

What happens with flat bars after 40 miles anyway?
  • Ed Moses
    Ed Moses Posts: 90
    There were people happily doing the Paris Roubaix Cyclo last weekend on flat bar bikes - that is 260km or 173km - so you should just about be okay!
  • you can ride as far as you like with flat bars.
    i did our clubs 200 and 150 standard rides a couple of time on a road going mtb, also did a 300 mile scotland and back.
    don't know if lo pro bars would be classed as flat even though they're like flat bars with bar ends, but I've done about 20 of my century rides on a fixed bike with them on.
    if the position is right i can't see a problem.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    As long as you are comfortable and happy with what you have got then there are no limits. I like drops on my road bike but have done 50 miles + on my MTB several times. As long as the bike fits well it does not matter.
  • lloyd_bower
    lloyd_bower Posts: 664
    I don't think flats are necessarily more uncomfortable, it just seems more natural to have drops on the road bike. They're fine for commuting too.

That said had many long rides touring on the rigid mountain bike set up with flat bars and bar ends and no probs comfortwise.
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    The main difference will be speed and this is related to wind. So long as you are prepared to accept that because of your higher riding position on a flat bar that you will take more of the wind then your average speed will be lower and this is much more pronounced in windy conditions. If you can live with that then there is no reason why you cannot ride miles on it. I have done 100km on mine and could do more only my saddle isn't the best and I ended up with ass ache at the end so was never really encouraged to go much further.

I am in the process of changing to a drop bar as the speed thing does get to me now.
  • I wonder if the more upright position has the effect, over longer distances, of (a) putting strain on your lower back and/or (b) distributing your weight inadequately on the saddle?

I ride both flat and drop-bar bikes, and I find that the drops are more comfortable for my back, perhaps because the posture has the effect of straightening my back, rather than curving it. It's also possible (I suppose) that flat-bar bikes are more often supplied with saddles that favour shorter distances (i.e., wide, squishy ones).

I've certainly cycled long distances on a flat-bar bike. In fact, I think if I had to cycle a long-ish way on busy roads, I'd still prefer the flat bars because, for me, the advantages of drops are lost if I'm constantly trying to see over the tops of cars.
  • Flyer

I think its been said above, but here's my ten bobs worth anyway.

I have completed long rides (60 miles +) on both types of bike. If I could choose I would go drop bar every time, simply because of the additional hand position options these give you and the more stretched out riding position. That said, if I had to use flat bars it wouldn't stop me.

AP
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    The guy that recently went round the world did it on a butterfly bar. It's closer to a flat than a drop.

You can do anything you want on a flat. Though I feel I am looking for a different hand grip after 30 mins.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Garry H wrote:

What happens with flat bars after 40 miles anyway?

Your arms fall off! :lol:

I've no idea where that 40 mile idea came from, as long as youare comfortable and pedling there would be no problem.

Drop bar position is more streamlined with the option of lots of positions.

However, if you're more comfortable with flats, then that's fine 8)
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    ive done a 76 mile ride and several 60+ mile rides on my Giant FCR2 hybrid and found it no more uncomfortable than my road bike also i find getting out of the saddle up steep hills easier than on the road bike because on flat bars your hands are facing forwards and further apart than they are on drops
  • flyer
    flyer Posts: 608
    Thanks for all the comments, I guess its make my mind up time!!!

Looks like most still would go for drops, I guess that is backed up by how many you see out and about. The 40 miles is what I do on an average ride, but I also do upto 80 miles once every 2 weeks.

Thanks

Flyer