New tyres without new wheels

lochindaal
lochindaal Posts: 475
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
I currently have a specialized allez sport with the stock wheels and tyres on. I was thinking of changing the tyres to Pro 3's but I am wondering if it will really make any difference on the existing wheelset.

I do intend changing the wheels but not for a while

Comments

• Mystique
    Mystique Posts: 342
    I'd say yes, go for it. Decent tyres can make a surprising amount of difference. I'd rather have good tyres on the stock wheels than crap tyres on upgraded wheels.

Obviously good tyres AND upgraded wheels would be the best combination :D
  • sibx
    sibx Posts: 102
    Go for it!

What are the tyres and wheels you have on now?

I just got my new red Pro 3s in the post this morning, and I've got some shiny new Dura-Ace wheels waiting for them and a cassette. Can't wait to try them out :D
  • lochindaal
    lochindaal Posts: 475
    The standard wheels are Jalco Dynamics 270 which from googling I think must be made for Specialized as i get no results.

The tyres are Specialized Mondo
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    First thing I changed on my Allez was the tyres. Those 60tpi Mondos that come with it are ok in the summer but once the shite starts accumulating on the roads I was getting a lot of punctures (mine didn't even have the Flak Jacket protection).

I first tried Mondo Pros with with Armadillo/Flak Jacket protective belts, then Conti 3000/4000/4000S but have ended up with mainly Vredestein Fortezza Tricomps on most of my wheels.

Ironically I currently have a 120tpi Spesh Mondo Pro on the front of my Allez.
  • Denny69
    Denny69 Posts: 206
    Better grip in the corners that comes from better tyres can only be good!!!
    Heaven kicked me out and Hell was too afraid I'd take over!!!

Fighting back since 1975!!

Happy riding

Denny