Please Help Me Choose A Hybrid!!!!! - (Budget around £350)

mart9012
mart9012 Posts: 4
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
Hiya,

My 2002 Specialized Expedition Sport was stolen last week and I need to get a new bike. The Expedition was a tough suspension 26" wheel hybrid that seemed to cope with my particular needs. But the new model is hideous and I fancy a change.

IIm a pretty heavy guy and not very tall and I tend to use the bike on the local hilly roads or some light trailing for keep fit rather than commuting. Some of these hills are steep and I tend to stand on the pedals powering my way up in all weather!

Given my lightweight budget I have looked at Ridgeback Rapide_Velocity, Switch_Tempest and the Dawes 301/401 and a 2007 501. The Specialized Sirrus is really at the very top of my price range. I don't think suspension is a big issue nor is 27 gears over 24 gears as long as they are reasonable. The Shimano Alivios I had were ok. Really strength is an issue and I'm not sure about 26" wheels or 700Cs.. So far sales staff have steered me towards the 700C wheeled road bikes but I don't know whether they are strong enough for my needs, and with all that I have no idea about the best manufacturers either. They all seem similar parts wise in my price bracket, mainly shimano alivio, v brakes, aluminium frames etc..

So I would appreciate any advice especially from those in the know.. My budget is really £350 unless I can get a bit of 0% finance thrown in. There are so many bikes, models, styles even under the name of hybrid!!

Help!

Comments

• pictit
    pictit Posts: 603
    mart9012 wrote:
    Hiya,

My 2002 Specialized Expedition Sport was stolen last week and I need to get a new bike. The Expedition was a tough suspension 26" wheel hybrid that seemed to cope with my particular needs. But the new model is hideous and I fancy a change.

IIm a pretty heavy guy and not very tall and I tend to use the bike on the local hilly roads or some light trailing for keep fit rather than commuting. Some of these hills are steep and I tend to stand on the pedals powering my way up in all weather!

Given my lightweight budget I have looked at Ridgeback Rapide_Velocity, Switch_Tempest and the Dawes 301/401 and a 2007 501. The Specialized Sirrus is really at the very top of my price range. I don't think suspension is a big issue nor is 27 gears over 24 gears as long as they are reasonable. The Shimano Alivios I had were ok. Really strength is an issue and I'm not sure about 26" wheels or 700Cs.. So far sales staff have steered me towards the 700C wheeled road bikes but I don't know whether they are strong enough for my needs, and with all that I have no idea about the best manufacturers either. They all seem similar parts wise in my price bracket, mainly shimano alivio, v brakes, aluminium frames etc..

So I would appreciate any advice especially from those in the know.. My budget is really £350 unless I can get a bit of 0% finance thrown in. There are so many bikes, models, styles even under the name of hybrid!!

Help!

Giant CRS,Specialized Globe.
    Have a look here edinburghbicycle.com ,one of their Revolution Courier models may suit too.
  • i would highly recommend the edinburghbicycle revolution courier range - very simple, so very little to go wrong, they look dull so no-one will nick it, just decent bikes at pretty good prices.