SPD's

ThanksBye
ThanksBye Posts: 519
edited June 2008 in MTB beginners
Hello,

How long does it take to get used to clipless Pedals?

Also If i just wanted to try them, would going second hand be a good thing to do?

Thanks
Cotic Soul
Pearson Hanzo
Airborne Zeppelin

Comments

• dhxcme
    dhxcme Posts: 1,467
    i went 2nd hand and picked it up after a few rides. It takes different amounts of time for people to get the hang of it.
  • ThanksBye
    Thanks, For second hand Gear, how much would it cost?
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin
  • owen908
    owen908 Posts: 170
    Be careful when you stop at traffic lights. Im sure everyone has done this but when your not used to them you dont react quick enough to remove you feet and, yep you guessed it ,you go straight down :roll: quite embarrasing! But once you get used to them they really are a necessary item to have.
  • ST Colin
    ST Colin Posts: 147
    I'll be experienceing not only riding for the first time in years, but using clipless pedals at the same time. Should be fun! But I remember how good they are once you get used to them :D
    http://stcolin.pinkbike.com

BeOne Aspire 1.0
    RS Recon Race Air Solo 100mm
    Raceface XC and Easton
    Mavic 321, DT Swiss spokes, XT hubs
    Panaracer Rampage SC's
  • no-mates
    no-mates Posts: 31
    I was in the same boat, hadn't cycled for about 15 years until 2 weeks ago. Bought SPDs this week and after a couple of rides and one fall (In my own driveway) I am fairly used to them. I got shimano pedals PD-M324's which have one side flat so on approaching a major junction I unclip one foot and flip the pedal over.

Norm.
  • ST Colin
    I looked at getting those pedals but decided that concentrating on clipping and unclipping was going to be tricky enough, never mind two options :lol:

BeOne Aspire 1.0
    Raceface XC and Easton
    Panaracer Rampage SC's
  • toslow
    toslow Posts: 85
    I have used spd's for years , the thing to do in the beginning is to have the spring tension quite loose , so if you forget , which we all have done you should be able to just pull your foot straight off them.
  • ThanksBye
    One more Q, With SPDs do u push ur foot down to clip in, and then roate it out to un clip??
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin
  • colsa
    colsa Posts: 50
    what happens if you dont get the cleats set up correctly ?, can you injure your knees from constant jaring ?
  • ST Colin
    You can adjust the cleats on the shoe to change to angle of your foot and the area that pushes on the pedal, ie closer to the toe or back towards the center of your foot. Pushing down toe first will clip you in and kicking your ankle outwards releases. There will be a tension setting on the pedal to determine how tight you will be. I have this loose at the minute to get used to it.

BeOne Aspire 1.0
    Raceface XC and Easton
    Panaracer Rampage SC's
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Start with multi-release cleats Shimano SH56.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=10969

The cleat will release with a hard pull upwards and they release in any direction.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    dont be put off by horror stories they really aint that hard to master, just takes a little practice you just set them on their loosest setting or go with multi release cleats...

the advantages far out weigh the cons so stick with them.

dont let your embarrasing falls put you off..
  • Red_Eye
    Red_Eye Posts: 1
    I also have just started using clipless after 20 years of flatties, and am trying not to let the embaressing falls put me off (had one today, luckily there wasn't many people around!). Is there any way, other than the multi-release cleats and spring tension (mine's at its most loose), of faster disengagement? Like lubing the cleats or something?? The reason i fell today was because them not wanting to disengage.

In answer to the first poster, 2nd hand price would depend on where you got them, and what type you want. Just had a look on ebay and there are lots of basic sets still at 99p to 10 quid with no bids yet.
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Red_Eye wrote:
    I also have just started using clipless after 20 years of flatties, and am trying not to let the embaressing falls put me off (had one today, luckily there wasn't many people around!). Is there any way, other than the multi-release cleats and spring tension (mine's at its most loose), of faster disengagement? Like lubing the cleats or something?? The reason i fell today was because them not wanting to disengage.

When I first started with clipless many years ago I fell in front of roughly a hundred cyclists at a major time trial in Essex. Every one does it and no one at all made any sarcastic comments. The following week I fell over at a road junction which could have been really nasty...

The only way I know of faster disengagement is to read the road (trail?) ahead and disengage before you really need to, while keeping your feet on the pedals, so you can carry on pedalling.
    Steve C
  • gs3
    gs3 Posts: 249
    Red_Eye
    There's nothing wrong with giving each pedal a quick spray with GT85 or similar after each ride (1) to assist the engage/ disengage of the cleat in the pedal and (2) to help prevent muck from sticking to the pedal and impeding it's action in adverse conditions. It's just a cheap way of mimicking the fluorine coating found on (expensive) Shimano XTR SPD's.
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    I hated spd's and have used semi toe clips for years with no probs.After a similar thread a couple of weeks ago I came across a reference to Power Grip straps.I bought mine from Edinburgh cycles for £20.They are brilliant give you all the advantages of spd but you are not as locked in the same.A friend has just bought some this week and he really rates them too.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/accessories/Ext ... 17crx.aspx