In need of tyre advice

track40
track40 Posts: 20
edited June 2008 in XC and Enduro
Ive been using the fast trak LK tyres that came on my Rock Hopper for the last 2 months and im looking to replace them with something better. Ive got a short list of:

Panaracer Fire XC or Rampage
Kenda Tomac Nevegal
Intense system 4

Anything i might have missed?

I ride over Banstead which has dry chalky trails but also plenty sections of soft mud that gets nice and slippy. I think id prefer grip to speed as trying to build on my riding confidence. Cost and life span arent really an issue more performance?

Any advice or opinions would be great

cheers

Tom

Comments

• rmurgatr
    rmurgatr Posts: 9
    I use
    Nobby Nic front
    Racing Ralph rear
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Similar position here - really like a Fast Traks in most conditions but they are hopeless in a ny sign of mud.

I'm considering the Continental Moutain Kings - look pretty round shouldered (hate square block shoulders - they suddenly let go on corners), fastish, and can be bought with kevlar protection yet don't weigh much.

Hmmm....
  • RIKO
    RIKO Posts: 559
    I run Maxxis High Rollers at the moment for the volume and grip but they can drag a little, if you're looking for speed and grip I'd go for the Panaracer Fire XC though as Surf-Matt say's those Conti Mountain Kings look good. You could also consider the Conti Vertical Pro.
  • mikep999
    mikep999 Posts: 18
    I'm running maxxis ignitors 2.1's on my FS, roll faster than all my mates on various other tyres. Grip really well on South Downs, loose & chalky with some mud, struggled through deep mud but was fine on light stuff. At £10 for wire or £18 foldable from CRC at the moment not sure you'd go wrong with these.

Hardtail has Racing Ralphs, another great tyre but I think has slightly less grip through the mud and somewhat more expensive than Ignitors!

Cheers
    Mike
    Scott Scale 30 (08)
    Scott Spark 30 (09)
  • drumon
    drumon Posts: 175
    I'm probably going to get Kenda Tomac Small Block 8
    What do people think of those, grip and good rolling?