Best Jobsworth Stories

NervexProf
NervexProf Posts: 4,202
edited July 2008 in Campaign
This rang a bell with me: http://tiny.cc/x60x8

Tried to open a Savings account for the grandaughter, initial deposit of £20 ( I am already an account holder with the Building Society)

Was asked to provide a Birth Cert for the little lass - this to make sure I was not money laundering!

Madness.

What's you best 'Jobsworth' story?
Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    NervexProf wrote:

Tried to open a Savings account for the grandaughter, initial deposit of £20 ( I am already an account holder with the Building Society)

Was asked to provide a Birth Cert for the little lass - this to make sure I was not money laundering!

Madness.

Its not jobsworth

Its called complying with the law of the land

Would you risk going to prison? Neither would the building society employee
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Denny69
    Denny69 Posts: 206
    Being asked to move my car from the front door to the "PAY AND DISPLAY" car park at the local hospital whilst my Father had been rushed into the CCU.....it was touch and go at the time and I'm happy to report that my Father is still alive and well 10 yrs or so on.

PS I was not blocking access for Ambulances or any other emergency vehicle just parked on a double yellow but at the time that didn't matter I just wanted to be with my family!
    Heaven kicked me out and Hell was too afraid I'd take over!!!

Fighting back since 1975!!

Happy riding

Denny
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    There's a new stupid postman doing the deliveries in my neighbourhood who refuses to ring the doorbell to see if anyone is in when he finds the package or letter doesn't fit through the letterbox. Instead he fills out one of those "Sorry you were out" cards and posts that intead!

I buy quite a lot from Ebay/Amazon/etc and also work from home, so publishers are often sending me printed samples of books I've designed for them, which means I've had stop work and trek down to the sorting office 3 days out of 5 this week. I'll have to insist clients use couriers if this goes on.

Today the place was full of quietly fuming people waiting to claim their parcels and the guy on the counter looked well-harrassed, it being only a couple of minutes before the office was due to close, yet the queue of customers was still out the door.

Thinking maybe of fashioning a voodoo doll out of all those red rubber bands that perpetually litter my front garden....
  • grayo59
    grayo59 Posts: 722
    ricadus wrote:
    There's a new stupid postman doing the deliveries in my neighbourhood who refuses to ring the doorbell to see if anyone is in when he finds the package or letter doesn't fit through the letterbox. Instead he fills out one of those "Sorry you were out" cards and posts that intead!

I buy quite a lot from Ebay/Amazon/etc and also work from home, so publishers are often sending me printed samples of books I've designed for them, which means I've had stop work and trek down to the sorting office 3 days out of 5 this week. I'll have to insist clients use couriers if this goes on.

Today the place was full of quietly fuming people waiting to claim their parcels and the guy on the counter looked well-harrassed, it being only a couple of minutes before the office was due to close, yet the queue of customers was still out the door.

Thinking maybe of fashioning a voodoo doll out of all those red rubber bands that perpetually litter my front garden....

I've got to say if i was regularly getting packages that were too big for my letter box then I'd get a bigger letter box!
    Around 12 years ago, a good friend of mine here in the Netherlands, who also happens to be English, decided to marry his Dutch partnerBoth have been married before, so there was a considerable amount of paperwork to be gone through before the wedding could take place.A number of weeks went by and finally everything was in order. They made an appointment at the town hall so all papers could be checked by the registrar and they could finally set a date for there big day.The registrar checked out the papers all of which appeared to be ok, but there was a problem with the birth certificate (it was too old)my mate was 58 years old then and the birth certificate of course is also 58 years old my mate explained that we are issued with these at birth and that it is supposed to last the rest of your life.The registrar was adamant the birth certificate was too old and a newer copy was needed. M mate stood up in disgust and said that he would call the authorities and see what they could do, he hoped for a new certificate saying he was 21.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • tjm
    tjm Posts: 190
    a few months back I was returning to heathrow. At passport control the guy was checking everyones passport very thoroughly and giving the majority a 5 minute lecture. Odd as the other queues were flowing fine. When it was my turn it turned out he was concerned about the corner of the page delaminating where the photo is.
    Now it turned out that most passports were "OK but I am telling you all about it because if it gets worse I would have to call in the passport fraud team".
    I made the mistake of commenting that I would fix it with some prit-stick. there followed another lecture about how that would be tampering with my passport and would get me arrested.
    At this point it was getting farcical. Lots of irate travellers wondering why the queue was going no where. So I decided to keep my mouth shut and just wait for the tirade to finish.
    But it took all my self control not to burst out laughing when he ended with "it is more than my jobs worth......" :lol:
  • bombdogs
    bombdogs Posts: 107
    Staff at my local Halfords - say no more!!!!
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    ricadus wrote:
    There's a new stupid postman doing the deliveries in my neighbourhood....

Mine too. In the past two weeks I've had -

-five letters for the same house number but the next street down.
    -a card saying my parcel has been 'left at No66'. I live in No66...
    -a package left on my doorstep in the pouring rain. It was a vinyl record and the sleeve is now completely sodden / ruined.
  • NervexProf
    spen666 wrote:
    NervexProf wrote:

Madness.

Its not jobsworth

My dear Spen, pedant, prat, as proved..could you please refrain from commenting, like a robot when I seek opinion on 'jobsworth' reactions?

I am not a criminal, nor do I seek to make a Building Society employee a criminal; just because I want to save £20 a month for my grand daughter!
  • spen666
    NervexProf wrote:

Its not jobsworth

My dear Spen, pedant, prat, as proved..could you please refrain from commenting, like a robot when I seek opinion on 'jobsworth' reactions?

I am not a criminal, nor do I seek to make a Building Society employee a criminal; just because I want to save £20 a month for my grand daughter![/quote]

without carrying out appropriate checks, how do the building society satisfy themselves you are not a criminal

By seeking to want the building society employee to break the law, you are asking them to commit criminal acts.

Your anger should be directed at those who introduced the law ( ie the politicians), not at somebody seeking to avoid going to prison by ensuring they comply with the law.

Yes - the penalty for not carrying out the legally required checks are imprisonment.

The employee was not being a jobsworth and it is not being pedantic to state that you are blaming the wrong person here

Twittering @spen_666
  • NervexProf
    spen666 wrote:
    NervexProf wrote:

Its not jobsworth

I am not a criminal, nor do I seek to make a Building Society employee a criminal; just because I want to save £20 a month for my grand daughter!

without carrying out appropriate checks, how do the building society satisfy themselves you are not a criminal

By seeking to want the building society employee to break the law, you are asking them to commit criminal acts.

Your anger should be directed at those who introduced the law ( ie the politicians), not at somebody seeking to avoid going to prison by ensuring they comply with the law.

Yes - the penalty for not carrying out the legally required checks are imprisonment.

The employee was not being a jobsworth and it is not being pedantic to state that you are blaming the wrong person here[/quote]

Spen.. by your riposte you affirm that you are the Adam, before Eve of all Jobsworths!
  • NervexProf
    spen666 wrote:
    NervexProf wrote:

Its not jobsworth

The employee was not being a jobsworth and it is not being pedantic to state that you are blaming the wrong person here[/quote]

Spen.. by your riposte you affirm that you are the Adam, before Eve of all Jobsworths!
  • spen666
    NervexProf wrote:
    ...Spen.. by your riposte you affirm that you are the Adam, before Eve of all Jobsworths!
    If by not wanting to go to prison I am a jobsworth, then guilty as charged

You however seem to want to rant about somebody who is doing what he has to do to avoid prison.
    You claim
    nor do I seek to make a Building Society employee a criminal

But are ranting on about him doing the minimum required by law to avoid being a criminal. and allow you to open a building society account

Twittering @spen_666
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    bombdogs wrote:
    Staff at my local Halfords - say no more!!!!

I wouldn't know. I'v never been in one. 8)
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Proper identification of account holders is a vital requirement in the fight against money laundering.

No matter how onerous they may seem, without them, setting up an account to launder dirty money would be far too easy. And what better cover than a child's saving account?
  • spen666
    Nuggs wrote:
    Proper identification of account holders is a vital requirement in the fight against money laundering.

No matter how onerous they may seem, without them, setting up an account to launder dirty money would be far too easy. And what better cover than a child's saving account?

Unless you are NervexProf in which case the staff are adopting a jobsworth attitude in ensuring they avoid a potential prison sentencce for failing to apply the law

Twittering @spen_666
  • NervexProf
    spen666 wrote:
    Nuggs wrote:

Unless you are NervexProf in which case the staff are adopting a jobsworth attitude in ensuring they avoid a potential prison sentencce for failing to apply the law

Spen...occupy your abundant free time, and appetite for the pedantic/and semantic by swotting up on this: http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2007/uksi_20072157_en_1

- when you have, then do, please tell me:

1. Why should any financial institution which holds my funds already ask for the birth certificate for my grandaughter, for whom I want to open an account, by the transfer of a mere £25 - in my name, as her nominee?

2. When you have done this, and sitting down, how can you, or anyone else posite that I am a candidate intent on money laundering, on opening an account?

I did write to the Chief Executive when stalled on opening this account.

The reply simply stated: 'The requirement for exhibiting a birth certificate on opening an account is 'our normal proceedure'

(Save us from Jobsworth's)
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Why not give these guys a call and chat it through with them?

http://www.soca.gov.uk/
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Nuggs wrote:

Child's saving account is perfect, IR-80 for the Child so no tax to pay on the gains in it. Also tend to have favourable rates of interest as well. I remember the rate on it being 10% in 1999, I was gutted when I went into the bank after my 18th birthday and had to change it to an account that only got 1%
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days