I've just got my bike delivered! PX Road Ti - but no saddle?

RC21
RC21 Posts: 166
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
Yay - just got my bike delivered: Planet X - Road Ti - but there's no saddle. . . .

I got it delivered to my work and wanted to cycle it home but i've got no chance without a saddle . . . I did order one. . . .<Off to call Planet X>

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    ooh pics and review of how it rides please! Thinking of one myself.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    ooh pics and review of how it rides please! Thinking of one myself.
    I'm guessing in its current state it probably isn't quite as comfortable as Ti is supposed to be ;)
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    it looks like they might be out of stock of some saddles, (ywah, i was drooling over the carbon bikes earlier...)
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • RC21
    I called Planet X and spoke to Dave and was told that they've had some issues with stock and they were going to send the saddle out today . . .As I wanted the saddle; now, so I could cycle home on it, I've swapped it for a carbon bottle cage (i loose out a bit on some money. . .nothing really) but I went out and bought a saddle at lunch.

I'm going to set it up after work at 18:00, take some pics with my phone (you'll have to excuse the quality) cycle home and post some feedback

RC
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    be ncie to know how you get on, as thats what im considering once the bike to work scheme kicks in, ti or carbon roadie thats the question ;)
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Getting a ti sportive. Same prob as yourself. Some out of stocks today when my LBS went to place my order so their supposed to coming back to the shop tomorrow to sort out what needs changed so hopefully have it early next week. Hope its worth the wait

Look forward to the review so long as its good :lol:
  • RC21
    edited June 2008
    The bike is nice! I didn't get to ride it too much (about 10 miles) but the front derailer doesn't feel right when shifting between 50 and 34. . . .Is there supposed to be two clicks (in one movement) when shifting between gears on the crankset - if you only click it to the first point it doesn't shift properly - you have to make sure it get's all the way across or make 2 smaller clicks

Anyway some dodgy pics taken on my phone here:

image083lr9.jpg

image080vy5.jpg

image081rs8.jpg

image084ub7.jpg

The pedals are like that as I was only wearing my trainers and not my cycling shoes and the seat is higher now :)

RC
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Is that the medium or the large?
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    The first click is to 'trim' the cage so you do not get chain rub when on the smaller cogs. There is a similar small click on the rear lever for the big/big combos. Most Shimano STIs have this. Just use full movement to change, small movement to trim if needed.
  • RC21
    Thanks John T for the pointers - I didn't know that.

I's a medium - I'm about 5'9/5'10

Cheers. RC
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,875
    That's very nice looking, nice and subtle :-)

Can I ask how much it was?

What groupset is she wearing, and do you know what the weight is meant to be?

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    That's a great looking bike. Very understated (everything my Izoard isn't) but stunning.
  • MIsterGoof
    MIsterGoof Posts: 128
    RC21
    That is disgusting, how dare you post pron of that calibre on this form :shock:

/ :arrow: goes off to recover from fit of jealousy/

seriously though, that's on my consider list. How did you size bars / stem for you.
    BTW I'm 5 11.
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    RC21 wrote:
    I called Planet X and spoke to Dave and was told that they've had some issues with stock and they were going to send the saddle out today . . .As I wanted the saddle; now, so I could cycle home on it, I've swapped it for a carbon bottle cage (i loose out a bit on some money. . .nothing really) but I went out and bought a saddle at lunch.

I'm going to set it up after work at 18:00, take some pics with my phone (you'll have to excuse the quality) cycle home and post some feedback

RC

I would be "jolly well annoyed" if I had been looking forward to such a lovely bike being delivered to my work and therefore looking forward to christening her with a ride home and the knobheads didnt think to call to advise me that it was going to be delivered sans saddle :shock:. Thats poor service really. I like to think that I wouldnt be losing any money (no matter how small) over the carbon bottle cage swap.
  • Yes we ran out of saddles , except for pink ones and ladies saddles , so we (should have and mostly did though i guess a few could have slipped through ) asked the customers with bikes built if they wanted bike sending without saddle (99% did) or if they wanted to wait the few days until the saddles arrived .

In this case the customer was subsequently on phoning offered a very wide choice of saddles , but elected for a bottle cage - seemed very happy at the time , so referring to planet x staff as knobheads is a little uncalled for ..
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Yes we ran out of saddles , except for pink ones and ladies saddles , so we (should have and mostly did though i guess a few could have slipped through ) asked the customers with bikes built if they wanted bike sending without saddle (99% did) or if they wanted to wait the few days until the saddles arrived .

In this case the customer was subsequently on phoning offered a very wide choice of saddles , but elected for a bottle cage - seemed very happy at the time , so referring to planet x staff as knobheads is a little uncalled for ..

So when offered the choice of a saddle or a bottle cage for his saddles-less bike, he opted for a bottle cage? He then comes on here and whinges about it!
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    He was a bit premature posting but he was not the one who made the 'Knobheads' comment. Sometimes a bit more maturity would be welcome on here.
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    Daniel B wrote:
    What groupset is she wearing
    It's a bike dude, where does the "she" come from??!! :shock: :roll: :?:
  • doyler78
    Garry H wrote:
    Yes we ran out of saddles , except for pink ones and ladies saddles , so we (should have and mostly did though i guess a few could have slipped through ) asked the customers with bikes built if they wanted bike sending without saddle (99% did) or if they wanted to wait the few days until the saddles arrived .

So when offered the choice of a saddle or a bottle cage for his saddles-less bike, he opted for a bottle cage? He then comes on here and whinges about it!

I don't see anything in what the OP has said that could be considered whinging. He said at the very beginning that he hadn't called Planet X to resolve. He came back on and told us all was sorted and pointed out the carbon bottle was cheaper than the saddle which he paid for. That is a statement of fact. He said the cost was nothing really so that doesn't say to me that he is a whinger.

I think confusing the OP with the Stewie Griffin who made the "knobhead" remark is what has confused things here.

I do hope that the OP will give us a review of the bike once he has a decent run out on it though I wouldn't blame him if he didn't bother :wink:
  • Just to claify , OP wasnt offered a bottle cage , he asked for one saying he wanted to buy a saddle that day at LBS and could he have a cage instead .

As far as I know there is no problem at all between OP and planet x , everyone satisfied and happy with each other .
  • Juju_uk_68
    Juju_uk_68 Posts: 90
    Seconded - poor service to jsut sent a complete bike out in pieces for you to assemble at home as and when the parts come in. Self assembly to some extent is always going to be required out the box, but not to the point where bits arrive in drips and drabs over the course of a few days.

I'd not have accepted a bottle cage as a swap, I'd have asked for the money for the saddle back instead. I'd also be cheesed off if the cage was less than the saddle and there was no hint of a cheque at least for the balance and possibly a tiny bit more for being I'd also be irritated and tell them that sending a complete bike less saddle isn't really the point.

I don't understand - if this was anyone but planet x, people would be camped out at the front door with flaming torches and pitchforks. As its planet x/on one

But because they make heavy budget steel frames that you cant try before you buy in shops people love the company. They seem to have enormous good will in the cycling community and I'm really not sure what it's based on. I'd not buy a bike I couldn't try first, esp not a very costly TI frame.
    Bianchi c2c Alu Nirone 7 Xenon (2007) Road
    Orange P7 (1999) Road
    Diamond Back Snr Pro (1983) BMX
    Diamond BackSIlver Streak (1983) BMX

Oh, and BMX is the *ultimate* single speed.
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    Juju - read what Dave from Planet X said will ya!! The 'swap' was requested AND agreed.
  • doyler78
    Juju_uk_68 Planet X will allow any person wanting to test ride a bike to arrange an appointment to go their wharehouse and do just that so where you get the idea that you can't get a test ride is beyond me. There are also a number of bike shops round the country who may allow test rides if they have the bikes in stock. What they do allow that isn't readily available is that you can customise the bike so that you get the fit you want. Lets see you try that with an off the peg Spesh or Giant.

There are pluses and minuses to all these things.
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Juju_uk_68 wrote:
    But because they make heavy budget steel frames that you cant try before you buy in shops people love the company. They seem to have enormous good will in the cycling community and I'm really not sure what it's based on. I'd not buy a bike I couldn't try first, esp not a very costly TI frame.

But its different strokes for different folks.

I bought my bike without trying it out first. I had gone and sat on a few different bikes with different geometry sizes. I understood which ones had a longer top tube etc and compared the sizes on the ones I had sat on (not even ridden) with the bike I finally ordered (not planet x but would happily guy from them).

I have a mate who won't even order a pair of cycling gloves without going and trying them on but its different for different people. I have no issue with making that kind of decision and prefer the choice and pricing options etc of online vs the bike shops I have nearby here.

And I am extremely pleased with my bike choice....best purchase of a few years but I can understand some would think the way I ordered was a crazy risk. From what I have seen by planet x posting here etc their customer service seems exceptional. You can't get it right 100% of the time but at least if you are willing to take ownership of problems and deal with people in the right manner that counts for everything and is certainly the kind of company I prefer to deal with.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I can understand if you are beginner needing to try out a bike as they may not know what size they need. But if you are an experienced road cyclist you should know what geometry you want, you shouldn't need to try a bike.

I build my own bikes now, buy the frames off the net largely, all I need is a geometry table. Maybe if I was going to be spending £2000 on a frame I'd want to see one in the flesh, but I wouldn't need to try it.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • RC21
    Sorry all, I was away on a stag weekend (left on the Friday) in Newquay and have just come back
    I'll try to answer all your questions:
    Daniel B wrote:
    That's very nice looking, nice and subtle Smile

Can I ask how much it was?

What groupset is she wearing, and do you know what the weight is meant to be?

It was about £1700 all in, breakdown of the order:

Frame - Ti Pro Road Medium Etched Panel
    Build Kit - MEDIUM - Standard Clamp Stem 100mm - standard alloy bar 42cm - FSA Gossamer Compact Chainset 172.5mm
    Fork - Planet X Pro Carbon Road Fork 700c
    Headset - On-One Smoothie Light Headset
    Bung - (mechanics use) Stealth Pro Carbon Fork Bung MK 2
    Headset Spacers - Under the stem
    Seatpost - Planet X 2007 Superlight ProCarbon 2 Bolt Hinged Seatpost
    Seat Clamp - Planet X Superlight Ti Seatclamp - 34.9mm
    Bar Tape - Velo black
    Shifters - Shimano Dura Ace 10 STI Levers
    Front mech - Shimano Dura Ace 10 Front Mech
    Rear mech - Shimano Dura Ace 10 Rear Mech
    Chain - Shimano Ultegra 10 Chain
    Cassette - Shimano Ultegra 10 Cassette 12-25
    Road Brakeset - Shimano Ultegra 10 Brakesets
    Clincher Wheelset - Planet X Model B wheelset - 20h/24h Shimano
    Clincher Tyres - Schwalbe Ultremo Triple 700*23 (Folding)
    MIsterGoof wrote:
    That is disgusting, how dare you post pron of that calibre on this form Shocked

/ Arrow goes off to recover from fit of jealousy/

seriously though, that's on my consider list. How did you size bars / stem for you.
    BTW I'm 5 11.

I had an idea of the sizes I needed and had tried a lot of other bikes out before hand - I spoke to a guy called Andy at Planet X who was very helpful - He confirmed the sizes I needed.
    I would be "jolly well annoyed" if I had been looking forward to such a lovely bike being delivered to my work and therefore looking forward to christening her with a ride home and the knobheads didnt think to call to advise me that it was going to be delivered sans saddle Shocked. Thats poor service really. I like to think that I wouldnt be losing any money (no matter how small) over the carbon bottle cage swap.

I was a bit miffed as I hadn't been warned about the saddle situation and was looking forward to cycling it home, but I appreciated the situation Dave and Planet X were in when speaking to them on the phone and am very glad they sent me the bike instead of waiting another week for a saddle to come in.

When I phoned Planet X; Dave ran through all the saddles they had and left me with a choice to make as to which one to take. . . I looked them up quickly but it didn't solve the problem of not having the saddle there and then, so I decided to go and buy one from my LBS - I called Dave, thanked him for his help and asked if I could just have a bottle cage instead.
    Garry H wrote:

I wasn't whinging - when I posted I didn't know the situation. That got cleared up and I'm happy with Planet X and the bike
    doyler78 wrote:
    I don't see anything in what the OP has said that could be considered whinging. He said at the very beginning that he hadn't called Planet X to resolve. He came back on and told us all was sorted and pointed out the carbon bottle was cheaper than the saddle which he paid for. That is a statement of fact. He said the cost was nothing really so that doesn't say to me that he is a whinger.

I think confusing the OP with the Stewie Griffin who made the "knobhead" remark is what has confused things here.

I do hope that the OP will give us a review of the bike once he has a decent run out on it though I wouldn't blame him if he didn't bother

Thanks doyler78 for clearing it up. As I was away I still haven't had a good go on it - i'll be taking it out a couple of nights next week; i'll let you know how I get on :)
    Just to claify , OP wasnt offered a bottle cage , he asked for one saying he wanted to buy a saddle that day at LBS and could he have a cage instead .

As far as I know there is no problem at all between OP and planet x , everyone satisfied and happy with each other .

Yes, everything is fine and as stated above I requested the bottle cage as a swap.
    Dave; Please pass on my thanks to Andy for all his help and the 50 or so emails he had to deal with from me - he must have been dreading the sight of another email popping into his inbox with my name on it :)

I'll try and get some proper photo's and some feedback on the bike.

Thanks all
    RC