building up stamina

boybiker
boybiker Posts: 531
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
Hi,
new boy on the forum so I am hoping all the experts can help me with some advice.
I have recently started to riding a specialized allez, not the most gee whizz bike around but I absolutely love it, and have been riding it for the past two months.I am however having some problems building up the stamina for the longer rides and find that I am knackered after 20 miles of fairly steady riding at 20-25 mph -ish on not particularly hilly rides. Anyone got any advice on how to build up to those longer rides without my legs falling off?
cheers
The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
FCN :- -1
Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me

Comments

• deal
    deal Posts: 857
    go slower, 20-25mph is pretty quick alone
  • 3wheeler
    3wheeler Posts: 110
    Remember when your training your not always pushing it your max. For example if you want to ride for 30 miles, do it at a steady pace you can finish comfortably. If you want to work on speed do it on shorter rides and/or using intervals.

If you treat each training ride like a race you'll be knackered at the end and take a long time to recover fully. Better to train at a lower intensity and train more frequently.

HTH
  • boybiker
    Thanks for the advice guys,
    I'll will try going at a slower pace, I will try to drag a friend along so I've got someone to pace myself with.
  • 3wheeler
    3wheeler Posts: 110
    A good gauge of your pace is what's called conversational pace - i.e. you shouldn't be too out of breath to hold a conversation. So if you're too out of puff to chat to your mate you're going too fast :D
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Slowly build!

I average about 16mph and can go like that all day, 20-25 is a quick average that is hard to sustain.

You're supposed to be enjoying it! :lol:
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • boybiker
    I did a 20 mile ride at a slower pace tonight and I wasn't so knackered and my legs stayed on which has got to be a good thing. :D
    And I concentrated at keeping my cadence pretty constant
  • Denny69
    Denny69 Posts: 206
    Try not to go too far straight away too....build it up gradually. One thing you may hear about with road riding or any riding come to think of it is a condition called Iliotibial band syndrome...

www.itbs.info

This can keep you off your bike for a LONG time.
    Heaven kicked me out and Hell was too afraid I'd take over!!!

Fighting back since 1975!!

Happy riding

Denny