why cant i manual?

Felix-da-house-mouse
edited June 2008 in MTB beginners
hi, i really really want to be able to manual but i just cant keep the front wheel up. what am i doing wrong? does anyone have any tips? what are the basics to doing it etc etc
felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!

Comments

• dhxcme
    dhxcme Posts: 1,467
    Drop into a low gear and pedal whilst leaning back.
  • LordBanks
    LordBanks Posts: 358
    You wanna manual a racer??
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,683
    edited June 2008
    dhxcme wrote:

Tried that - does nt work

We ll have to get together and pay a 12 year old to teach us Felix :P

edit - curse my broken keyboard!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    dhxcme wrote:
    that's not manualing though, that;'s wheeling, right?
  • dhxcme wrote:
    that's not manualing though, that;'s wheeling, right?

correct, manual is where you stand up and heave the front wheel up and keep it there by feathering the rear brake but i'm buggered if i can do it.
    felix's bike

• LordBanks wrote:
    You wanna manual a racer??

do i even have to answer this? oh and its a road bike
    felix's bike

• Anonymous
    Well, to be fair, Felix, you still only have the picture of the road bike in your sig.

oh, and if you want to change the name of the image link, by the way, what you do is put
    [url=
    link to your picture followed by ]
    then, put in whatever name you want for the link, such as Felix's bike, then close the tag bu putting in [/url]
    like this...
    Felix's bike

Maybe it's clearer if I mis-spell url, to LRU just to explain....
    [LRU=http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z63/felix-da-house-mouse/?action=view&current=DSC00172.jpg]Felix's Bike[/LRU]
  • cheers yeehaa
    felix's bike

• Anonymous
    :lol: not quite there yet felix!
    ok, try this... BUT put it all one one line.

felix's bike
  • icedmind
    icedmind Posts: 206
    lower your seat at first place, go on decent speed(fast works better)
    then lean back and pull up as much as you can
    but its really hard on a poper xc bike so i guess its even harder on a rb with such thin tyre
    good luck lol
    08 Swork Stumpy FSR with 3 brains
    "2Brains. A Singletrack Mind ", from specialized <<<suppose if the rider doesnt have one
  • icedmind
    icedmind Posts: 206
    lower your seat at first place, go on decent speed(fast works better)
    then lean back and pull up as much as you can
    but its really hard on a poper xc bike so i guess its even harder on a rb with such thin tyre
    good luck lol
    08 Swork Stumpy FSR with 3 brains
    "2Brains. A Singletrack Mind ", from specialized <<<suppose if the rider doesnt have one
  • rob cole
    rob cole Posts: 706
    correct, manual is where you stand up and heave the front wheel up and keep it there by feathering the rear brake but i'm buggered if i can do it.

if you manual by feathering your rear brake you are using the wrong technique and will never learn to manual properly

the correct technique is to lean back, pull up hard and get into a balance where your arms are straight, and then control your fore / aft balance by pumping your legs

the rear brake is just used as a "saver" if you lose your aft balance and the bike starts to flip

its much easier to learn on a BMX because the manual is done much flatter, often with the front wheel only inches off the ground, on a mountain bike with 26" wheels you need to get the front wheel quite high to find the balance point

once you get it dialled and can manual round corners, its a sweet feeling trick
    check out my riding - www.robcole.co.uk Banshee Factory Team rider, Da Kine UK Team rider, www.freeborn.co.uk www.eshershore.com
  • LordBanks
    LordBanks Posts: 358
    Road bike/Racer, samething.
  • Anonymous
    ah, thanks for the tip, Rob. I'd always thought you feathered the brake, like in a wheelie.
    I'm glad somebody's read the manual

da da boom tish!
    thangyouverrymuch!
  • tompjg
    tompjg Posts: 21
    Try giving a strong pedal stroke with your stronger foot as you pull up on the bars.... :D
  • I'm glad somebody's read the manual

da da boom tish!
    thangyouverrymuch!

:shock: Exactly how long have you been waiting to use that one? :lol:

I've never got the hang of manualling, but I don't suppose being my size, and trying with a MTB with a 23.5 inch frame is the way to start. Imagine I'll have to lift the front wheel 3 feet to get my weight over the back axle! :?
    Proved by testing to be faster than a badger.
    The world's ultimate marmite bike
  • rob cole
    rob cole Posts: 706
    a good way to find your balance point is to sit on your bike and lean against a wall, pull it up into a wheelie whilst stationary and use the wall to support you whilst your work out your balance point

this is also used in BMX to find the front balance point for nose manuals :shock:
    check out my riding - www.robcole.co.uk Banshee Factory Team rider, Da Kine UK Team rider, www.freeborn.co.uk www.eshershore.com