Single Speed Cyclo Cross

AcousticDave
AcousticDave Posts: 41
edited June 2008 in Road general
Does anyone race on a single speed against multi geared bikes, do you get results or is single speed a big disadvantage.

Comments

• DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Does anyone race on a single speed against multi geared bikes, do you get results or is single speed a big disadvantage.

I've seen a few SS 'cross machines since I started racing off road a few years ago, and some riders did get decent placings on them. I'm assuming they're on freewheel rather than fixed, though, due to the nature of the racing with rapid dismounts and fairly technical downhill bits sometimes.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Pete Beer
    Pete Beer Posts: 604
    Slightly off the topic, but I raced an On One ss at the Kona 12 hour MTB race last Saturday. In my team of 4 (all others geared) I was 2nd quickest and against the rest of the "fun" field did pretty good, well at least considering I turned 50 that week and only started mountain biking last October. No mechanical problems and quicker on the hills (well you've no choice) Just try it.............................
  • thanks for replies, i might just give it a go for one race and see how it goes.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    There's a good article on this on Sheldon Brown's site:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/singlecross.html
  • Excellent article thanks for that.
  • yeah why not. Most local cross races seem to be fairly informal events and a few bods on mtb's show up so give it a go. Also you should be able to make a pretty light crosser and there be less bits for the mud to stick to.
    Cycling - The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • sorry for late reply (dads funeral)
    Thats what i was thinking Robbie, But i proberly get left behind on the flat road bits with just a single. But as you said less to go wrong in the race.