BH any good?

carl_p
carl_p Posts: 989
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
Hi all, cracking forum.

I'm very new to cycling but have become quickly addicted.

I recently purchased a nearly new MTB intended for pottering around with my daughter but got quickly smitten and fitted some Schwalbe road tyres. Last weekend I completed the Norwich 50 and now want a 'proper' road bike asap.

Today I went to my LBS where they showed me Orbea (?), Trek and Giant bikes around the £500 budget mark. They also showed me a BH. Unfortunately I can't recall the precise model otherthan it had carbon forks, carbon seat post and 105 shifters. It was reduced from £700 to £600 which is a bit above budget but the spec seems higher than the other bikes and I undertand the shifters particularly are the nuts. I've never heard of BH but being a newbie that doesn't mean anything. Anyone have an opinion on this make?

I'm a very fit 46 and want a performance bike but not entirely sure I can totall forego comfort and rideability so would welcome your views.
Specialized Venge S Works
Cannondale Synapse
Enigma Etape
Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    AG2R one of the ProTour teams is riding BH bikes this year, they are pretty good.

I think the bike you mention came up in a thread a few weeks ago and it looked pretty good.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Denny69
    Denny69 Posts: 206
    AG2R one of the ProTour teams is riding BH bikes this year, they are pretty good.

I think the bike you mention came up in a thread a few weeks ago and it looked pretty good.

Damn I was going to say that!!!

One thing though...I had a BH BMX years ago and it was certainly put through it's paces, never faltered once...in fact the only reason I got rid of it was I was too big for it...gave it to the next door neighbour and he had a few years out of it.
    Heaven kicked me out and Hell was too afraid I'd take over!!!

Fighting back since 1975!!

Happy riding

Denny
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    There are a number of reviews about BH bikes around. Cycling Plus seem to rate them. In fact I'm sure they won a bike of the year award a couple of years ago?

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... t/l60-9710
    http://www.bicycling.com/article/1,6610 ... -1,00.html
    http://www.triplecrankset.com/2007/12/r ... nnect.html
  • Veloist
    Veloist Posts: 6
    I bought a BH with similar spec, 105 shifters, carbon forks (but not seatpost). A fine bike. Hasn't let me down at all, and is quite light for the money. They are very big in spain, where they are made.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Just in case you don't buy it, where is your LBS?
  • ncs12
    ncs12 Posts: 24
    I've got one - again a different model - the L55 (Speedrom) and can't fault it one bit.

Chris
  • eskimo Joe
    eskimo Joe Posts: 764
    I saw a few amatuer races when i lived in Madrid and saw plenty of guys on them , thought they looked quite good
    Suburban studs yodel better than anyone else
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,875
    Here's the one I think some people are talking about, posted on a couple of threads, don;t know if they are still in stock, but a serious bargain if it is.

http://www.holcroscycles.com/productdetail/23/621/BH-R1-Race-One-C-105-
    BH_l35.jpg

According to the original poster, the 49 is a compact, so equivalent to a 54.

Bargain of the year as far as I can tell, has carbon stays, but no carbon seatpost, but a seatpost is easier to upgrade than rear stays :wink:

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Rang LBS back today - it is the Race One (so the assistant thought!). Yes it has carbon stays. Transpires only one in stock which is in a 'large'. Probably too big for me but will have a look at the weekend.

Thanks for all your responses.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • Denny69
    Denny69 Posts: 206
    Daniel B wrote:
    Here's the one I think some people are talking about, posted on a couple of threads, don;t know if they are still in stock, but a serious bargain if it is.

http://www.holcroscycles.com/productdetail/23/621/BH-R1-Race-One-C-105-
    BH_l35.jpg

According to the original poster, the 49 is a compact, so equivalent to a 54.

Bargain of the year as far as I can tell, has carbon stays, but no carbon seatpost, but a seatpost is easier to upgrade than rear stays :wink:

Dan

Sweet...just not keen on CF on a bike as I'm a large rider.
    Heaven kicked me out and Hell was too afraid I'd take over!!!

Fighting back since 1975!!

Happy riding

Denny