Carbon or Aluminium -Tiagra/105/Dura Ace/Ultegra or Campag?

paul1007
paul1007 Posts: 6
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
Hi - First post here....

I'm ready to invest in a new bike and I've narrowed it down to 5 similar models with similar prices but with different groupsets. I will need this to serve me well for a number of years (my present bike is about 15 years old but I've upgraded over the years) so I'm hoping that whichever model I buy will last and I'll be able to upgrade as time goes on.

My question is, will I be better served by choosing by frame type or components? For example I can purchase a carbon frame with Tiagra or the same carbon frame with 105 for £100 more?

Or carbon with Dura Ace or carbon with Ultegra for the same price?

Or would an Aluminium frame with carbon seat stays and forks with Campag Mirage stand the test of time better?

Then it's just the colour to choose.......

Thanks

Paul

Comments

• feel
    feel Posts: 800
    I think that performance products sometimes don't have the longevity of others due to their lightweight nature.
    I also think that if you gain in one area you will probs lose in another. If you are getting Dura Ace for the same price as ultegra then you are probs getting something else that is cheaper .
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I think Feel is right, the higher end comps need replacing, the frame and right geometary are the key/.

The wheels, groupset can always be upgraded later.
    Richard

Giving it Large