Hello, good evening & all the rest

Steve_b77
Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
howdy folks,

I'm visiting from the darkside (yeah I own a 5.5" full sus MTB :) ) but I'm after a bit of advice on a road bike.

Basically I want to improve my fitness and climbing ability so when i'm out on the MTB I can last on the climbs a bit longer and eventually getup them fast.

I had a bit of a look round on the net and found this Schwinn Fastback Sport '07 at JE James in Sheffield, for a seemingly bargain price of £350 :!:

Off i drove and had a try of the bike in the shop, I'm 5'11" (with a 32.5" inside leg - if that matters)so the guy recommended I try a Medium and it felt like the right kinda length from the saddle to the bars - totally different to my MTB but what can you expect .

The componentry seems to be pretty good and I heard that the Tiagra rear mechs are pretty good, it also seemed to weigh nigh on bugger all.

Would this be a good idea for general road riding and fitness training :?:

Also while I'm on when people say "get fitted right" do they mean sitting on the bike in the shop and adjusting the saddle for height & position or is there something else involved :?:

Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Looks OK, I use both a MTB and Roadie, both are really great

You can really cover the miles faster on a roadie.

The fitting is the relationship between your body shape and the bike, it's very inoportant, but the different types take time to get used to.

After a while you'll be fine and awap over whenever you want.

I use the roadie for general fitness and the off roader for muddy fun with friends!

Both compliment each other and it's far better than getting a hybrid, which is slow on the road and rubbish off it!
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Steve

I went to many bike shops before i ended up in RaceScene for my fitting. They take lots of time to talk to you and see what type of riding you want to do, and then they set you up on a jig to get your position right. All the data is then transferred to the bike when they build it.

If your in B77, Tamworth area, then its only just over an hour to barnsley, but well woprth the drive.

PM me if you want more info.
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Steve_b77 wrote:

Would this be a good idea for general road riding and fitness training :?:

It seems competent enough - it's also a Triple, which gives you more scope for spinning on tougher gradients. If you haven't decided yet maybe take a look at a couple of other brands aswell - if you can sit on a few, even better - by the sounds of it, you'll ideally want to look at Compacts or Triples. You'll certainly have more fun on a Roadie when on the Road - the extra speed and ease with which Road bikes coast & go uphill relative to MTB's will add further moltivation.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,875
    Hi Steve,

I too am an MTB'er and have also now got a road bike, or two - you will love the speed, and hill climbing abilities of these bikes, amongst other things.

If you can stretch a bit more, how about this from the BH thread below - assuming they still have them in stock.

http://www.holcroscycles.com/productdetail/23/621/BH-R1-Race-One-C-105-

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18