Which (entry level) road bike

trickydisco
trickydisco Posts: 173
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
brief introduction.

I had my old rigid mountain bike stolen a few weeks ago that i used for commuting to work. I've been after a replacement ever since.

I've now ditched the idea of a hybrid (I thought i wouldn't like drop bars) and now want a road bike (which you can attach panniers/mudguards to)

A friend lent me his 20 year old peugeot road bike (56cm) this week and i've had a grin on my face ever since. I took to it straight away. I've been riding mountain bikes for around 5 years now and i didn't realise how fast these things go.

My commute to work is now very very fast (also seem to be getting out of the saddle more, something i never do on a mtb bike - this is probably because this bike has a double chain ring and only 6 gears at the rear). I love how this thing is so old but just rolls and picks up speed very easily.

Now, my choice of road bikes. I've narrowed it down to:

Ribble (seen a few good one's on ebay)

trek 1000

Giant SCR 3

Orbea fleche

Edinburgh cycles Revolution contential

I've got a max of around £400 to spend (some of the above listed would be either 2nd hand e.g. ribble or brand new e.g. continental)

I've found the road sizing a different ball game. I normally take anything from a 17" - 19" mountain bike frame (depending on geometry) This old peugeot road bike fits me fine but after emailing edinburgh cycles they say i'd suit a 52cm frame? (i'm 5'9" with inseam of 33")

So, what do you think i should get? To be honest I did have my heart set on the continental as i heard these were good value for money, but after looking at 2nd hand prices of the ribble and the price of the orbea i'm torn.

(i keep meaning to pop into my local LBS this week and try out various models for sizing)

(i'm also a full on mountain bike geek that spends a fortune on upgrading parts..although seems like i'm going to have to learn all the different groupsets/technology as well)

I realise this question comes up all the time. But that's the fun of forums!

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    You can get a brand new Ribble Audax bike with mudguards and rack mounts for less than £400. Way better frame and fork set than the Edinburgh job.
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    ditto - new Ribble @ less than £400
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • iga
    iga Posts: 155
    Agree with Garry H. If you're buying new the £399 Ribble job is ideal for what you want. As for size, with a 33" inside leg (presuming this is the real measurement, not your trouser leg) I'd have thought you'd be about a 56cm (inseam in cm x 0.67), but subtract about 4cm for compact frames. On the other hand plenty of people argue that it's top tube length that counts!
    FCN 7
    Aravis Audax, Moulton TSR
  • trickydisco
    I had a go at the ribble bike geometry calculator and it at 54.48.. So between 54/55

Where is this bike for £400? I used the bike builder but got £525

Any thoughts on the Orbea?
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Offer your mate 100 pounds for his Peugeot ;)

Check local classifieds too. Older bikes without STI/Ergo shifters tend to go cheap because everyone wants STI. Downtube shifters are ace!

e.g.
    http://tinyurl.com/46sc2w

Otherwise, the Orbea Fleche has excellent equipment, including Shimano hubs (for once!).
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    This old peugeot road bike fits me fine but after emailing edinburgh cycles they say i'd suit a 52cm frame? (i'm 5'9" with inseam of 33")

!

I would think that 52 cm was on the very bottom of your fit range and will mean that you have a lot of seatpost showing leading to quite an aggressive riding position (which might be exactly what you want). I would have thought you could consider anything up to a 55cm frame,with the most likely being a 53 or 54. I ride a 55cm Lemond and am the same size as you, i realize that i probs would have been happy with a 53 cm frame, but actually quite like the more relaxed position a larger frame tends to give.You really need to try a few different sizes out as the fit will vary between different makes and frame styles.
    Hope this helps.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • trickydisco
    acorn_user wrote:
    Offer your mate 100 pounds for his Peugeot ;)

Check local classifieds too. Older bikes without STI/Ergo shifters tend to go cheap because everyone wants STI. Downtube shifters are ace!

e.g.
    http://tinyurl.com/46sc2w

Otherwise, the Orbea Fleche has excellent equipment, including Shimano hubs (for once!).

I've love to find bikes like this. Just don't know what i'm searching for. Have tried the usual "old" "vintage" etc.
  • trickydisco
    acorn_user wrote:

Surely that will be way too small 19" = 48cm?
  • feel
    acorn_user wrote:

Yes it wIll, but shows that bargains are out there.
  • trickydisco
    feel wrote:
    acorn_user wrote:

Yes it wIll, but shows that bargains are out there.

Ah okay. Sorry thought i was missing something as I thought most road bikes were stated in cm's and not inches.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    the £400 Ribble is one of their special edition bikes; audax frame and a mix of 9spd Campag kit from 2006-7. Stonking bargain.
  • feel
    Older bikes will probs be in inches newer ones in cm. I have a tourer that has a frame size of 22" . I guess you would want about the same.
  • trickydisco
    " Ribble 7005 Winter/trainer/Audax"

What's with the winter/audax terminology?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    winter / audax means it's got clearance / eyelets for mudguards and rack. Ribble's geometry seems to be still quite racy to me.

Generally audax frames are more relaxed geometry for day long rides.