When To Lock Out Rear Shock

sc999cs
sc999cs Posts: 596
edited June 2008 in MTB beginners
Just bought my first bike with a rear shock. I can lock this out but I was wondering should I lock out the shock when I'm not sitting on the bike, or should I sit on the bike, get the shock to sag, and then lock out?

Many thanks

Steve C
Steve C

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Makes no difference really - the shocks tend to have sa small amount of travel even when locked.
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    No does not matter when your riding or not.
    Unless the manual says you cant adjust whilst traveling.

Use the lockout when on the road/fire roads and hill climbing
    or canal paths any where its flat basicaly.
  • Xiphon
    Xiphon Posts: 47
    The whole point of 'lock-out' (for both forks and rear shocks), was to prevent pedal bob.

When pedalling uphill, you want as much energy to propel you forwards, not down (against the shock).

Lock-out is used when you want to essentially turn the bike into a rigid bike. It's used when climbing, when road riding.... and that's about it.

I've got lock-out on my forks, and pro-pedal on my shock (Fox's lock-out system, which can 'give way' if it encounters a heavy hit).
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Thanks for the reply to my question and the extra information about the rear shock's use.

Steve C
    Steve C
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    Xiphon wrote:
    The whole point of 'lock-out' (for both forks and rear shocks), was to prevent pedal bob.

When pedalling uphill, you want as much energy to propel you forwards, not down (against the shock).

Lock-out is used when you want to essentially turn the bike into a rigid bike. It's used when climbing, when road riding.... and that's about it.

I've got lock-out on my forks, and pro-pedal on my shock (Fox's lock-out system, which can 'give way' if it encounters a heavy hit).

In theory on the climbs you dont want it 'locked out' the rear. you will get a lot more traction and dependant on the bike will be quicker on the up aswell. all depends on teh bike tho and how much rear travel it has
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    When you 'lock out' won't matter, the shock will still extend as you are only restricting the compression stroke.

Only time my rear is 'locked out' is on the road and I never bother with the front.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com