Marin Muirwoods

pictit
pictit Posts: 603
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
Anyone got one of these?.Thinking of one as a 'sturdy' but 'nimble' all rounder to compliment my road bike.At present I'm using an old,tank like,mountain bike for this purpose but it's components are on their last legs and it simply aint worth doing up.
Cheers,
John.

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,875
    Looks pretty ok, they also do a 29er version with disc brakes for not much more - that would be quite a cool bike me thinks.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • pictit
    Daniel B wrote:
    Looks pretty ok, they also do a 29er version with disc brakes for not much more - that would be quite a cool bike me thinks.

What's the frame quality like on your Marin bikes?.I realise the Muirwood is steel but are they 'well put together'?.
  • I commute on a Marin Novato (circa 2002) which is another of their city/commuter bikes (without discs). It's great! Very quick and having 26" wheels means that pot holes aren't too much of a death threat or expensive! The bike's done me proud - many miles of commuting (10miles a day for 3 years), then 18 miles a day 3 days a week during the summer for the past 3 years or so. The only thing I would change is the chainset - I find I can't really go more than 24mph without my legs turning to a complete blur so a slightly higher gear would be better. I'll alter that when I need to replace the chainset though.

Definately recommended, it was my favourite bike until I just bought my new road bike!
  • pictit
    Quote The only thing I would change is the chainset - I find I can't really go more than 24mph without my legs turning to a complete blur so a slightly higher gear would be better. I'll alter that when I need to replace the chainset though.

Definately recommended, it was my favourite bike until I just bought my new road bike![/quote]

:) 48X11 on the Muirwoods = no danger of me spinning out :oops: :wink: .You sound very happy with your "Novato" and I have a feeling the Muirwoods will be a hit with me.
    Cheers,
    John.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,875
    pictit wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

What's the frame quality like on your Marin bikes?.I realise the Muirwood is steel but are they 'well put together'?.

The frame/weld quality is something Marin's are well renowned for, I've never heard anyone say they aren't well made or are a bit flimsy - granted this means they are a tad heavier than some, but they are generally regarded as a bike you can buy, knowing the frame will last and last, and you can upgrade as and when you like, but the heart of the bike will remain sound and intact.

My 06 Palisades joined me in a fairly big crash recently (all my own fault) when I broke my collarbone, and apart from a bent wheel, and scuffed saddle, is completely unscathed - couldn't figure it out myself!

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18