Touring Ireland - advice

knight2k
knight2k Posts: 119
edited June 2008 in Tour & expedition
Myself and a couple of friends will be touring around Ireland for a couple of week at the end of July. What 3 places must I see?

Comments

• SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Wicklow mountains, having just spent a week there on holiday, it was lovely. Fairly quiet country roads, plus, going up in the mountains the views are fantastic.

Depends on what part of Ireland you want to go to.
  • knight2k
    We'll be going all over in a general clockwise direction - starting from the ferry in Dublin.

I've got a couple of places I want to go: Blarney Stone and the Giant's Causeway.

We'll be camping or staying in hostels as we make our way around the country.
  • mark1956
    mark1956 Posts: 221
    knight2k wrote:
    We'll be going all over in a general clockwise direction - starting from the ferry in Dublin.

I hope you mean the Dun Laoghaire ferry, it's much more bicycle friendly.
    mark
  • knight2k
    Thanks Mark. I thought all ferries went to Dublin or Rosslare, hadn't spotted Dun Laoghaire. It would certainly be easier getting out of there than Dublin, and the sailing times are agreeable too.
  • ampr1150gs
    ampr1150gs Posts: 16
    I recommend that you go to Dingle, Kerry and do the Slea head ring (R559), it's a beautiful ride and much quiter than the Ring of Kerry (N70) which has big busloads of tourists thundering on it. Then follow the coast road up to Donegal and make your way to Giants Causeway.

Be sure to bring rain gear...
    Aidan

www.acousticmotorbike.com
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Beara Peninsula (The one between Sheeps and Dingle)
    The Burren (Europes most diverse ecosystem)
    Arren Isles (Ineshere is very small and neat).
  • sean02ie
    sean02ie Posts: 161
    If it was me wth 2 week in Ireland I'd use Dublin Ferry, on to bus to Cork for start of tour Beara Pinsuela, Kerry, Ferry into Co.Clare (Burren) Great beaches on up to galway.Donegal ,Antrim Coast mountains of mourne, Bus from Newry to Dublin. Unfortunatly trains are very expensive and don't take bikes anyhow. Its part of a new anti -bike initiave by our rail authorities!!!.
  • alex15
    alex15 Posts: 4
    Hi,

Yeah, You might find a some good info about Ireland.
    So you can check it out for yourself here :http://www.viamigo.com/place/2746/ireland
    Thanx.