Wrong size or just new feel?

drh9uk
drh9uk Posts: 16
edited June 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi All

I've just got my first 'proper' bike, a GT aggressor XC2. After much deliberation I opted for the 20" model over the 18" but now I have it, it feels really quite big (especially at the front). I was wondering if this may be just because I have never had riser bars before and it's just a case of getting used to it? Anyone else thought this with a new bike but had it turn out alright after a few rides?

Cheers.

Comments

• Larok
    Larok Posts: 577
    what's you height? I'm afraid if it feels to big it probarbly is.

You could try a shorter stem, moving the seat forward and changing to a straight seat post if yours has a curve.
  • drh9uk
    I'm 6ft, it feels fine for my legs just not for my upper body!
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    Sounds like it's probably too big for you, will you be able to return it for the 18''
    I'm 6ft & got a GT Avalanche Expert thats Medium (about 18'') when i tried them the large felt too big for me
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • drh9uk
    I've been out on it a couple of times so I doubt I'd be able to return it. Really annoyed with myeslf for not being 100% sure. Any advice on making the best of a bad situation?
  • beski
    By being too big at the front do you mean that you feel stretched?
    If so, as Larok said try a shorter stem or moving the saddle forward.
    Tilting the riser bars back may help aswell
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    How much stand over clearance do you have over the top bar?

If you have 2 inches or more it should be fine. The reach is more forgiving when it comes to changing as you can move the seat or change the stem.
  • drh9uk
    The clearance is fine, it does feel a little as if I'm stretching but mostly just very elevated - I'm sat a lot more upright than I was on my old bike. I'll try adjusting the saddle and tilting the bars and see if that makes any difference.

The saddle is raised a good 4" out of the frame to get the right height when sat on it (toes on floor) which is why I went with the 20".
  • rob cole
    rob cole Posts: 706
    The clearance is fine, it does feel a little as if I'm stretching but mostly just very elevated - I'm sat a lot more upright than I was on my old bike. I'll try adjusting the saddle and tilting the bars and see if that makes any difference.

The saddle is raised a good 4" out of the frame to get the right height when sat on it (toes on floor) which is why I went with the 20".

your bike sounds too big?

on most modern mountain bikes you go for the most compact frame that fits (in terms of top tube / front centre) and often a good 8" of seatpost sticking out of the frame to keep the bike nice and nimble for off road riding

on a mountain bike you ideally want a good 3-4" minimum clearance between yourself and the top tube when standing on the floor

your saddle height is set by sitting on the bike with your heel on one pedal in the 6 o-clock position - your leg should be fully straight so that when you put the ball of your foot on there, there is a slight bend in your leg

this will often give a long seatpost extension on a bike that fits properly
    check out my riding - www.robcole.co.uk Banshee Factory Team rider, Da Kine UK Team rider, www.freeborn.co.uk www.eshershore.com
  • tjm
    tjm Posts: 190
    your saddle height is set by sitting on the bike with your heel on one pedal in the 6 o-clock position - your leg should be fully straight so that when you put the ball of your foot on there, there is a slight bend in your leg

I'd use that method for a road bike. For my hardtail i have the seat an inch or so lower than that. That is for general xc and singletrack where I need to be out of the saddle a lot. If i was doing stuff where i stay in the saddle I would set it a bit higher.

But anyway, I agree, if you set the seat something like that i'd expect a lot more than 4" of seatpost showing so it does sound like the bike is a bit big.

However, don't dispair - my bike felt very overstretched when I got it, moving a seat forward just 20mm made a huge difference to the feel and shortening the stem by 15mm made if feel just right.

What are you comparing it to? I went from an old fashioned rigid MTB with a road like riding position (long reach, bars 2" below seat etc). I then tried a few bikes that should have fitted me (hardtails and a FS) and it felt like I was very high and sitting straight upright but reaching a lot for the bars- very weird feeling!
    I bought one of those bikes and, after getting used to it, tweeked the seat, bars and stem to get a good position. I have ended up with less reach and higher bars than before - I expected to be reducing the reach but I never expected to want to sit MORE upright.
    What has surprised me is that this has made a dramatic improvement to the handling on singletrack and downhill but NOT made it more difficult on climbs.

Which is a long winded way of saying it could be that you are just not used to that type of bike - it all depends on what you had before.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Avalanches are quite upright. I had a 2004 20 inch one - and at 6ft, it felt too small for me as I was so used to the longer, lower stretch of the Zaskar. So maybe just a change of stem is all you need.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I'm 5ft 11 with an 18 inch Avalanche on the way. I felt too stretched on the 20, especially with the wide bars.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • supersonic
    I'll have to measure the the effective top tube on the zaskar lol.
  • fred22
    fred22 Posts: 509
    I do know the feeling -I have just got a Marin Rocky Ridge and after my previous ride (medium Decathlon Rockrider 5.2) the Marin feels a lot more upright whereas the Rockrider was like a road racing bike -stretched out. Its also higher at the handle bars, due I think to the geometry, riser bars and the long travel forks. Its also got a few spacers on the stem that I could probably live without if I was technically competent. When I saw it in the shop I thought 'thats a big bike' but the guy was happy with the fit and really so am i.

Its a bigger bike than I'm used to and its got a different riding position but I dont think that its too big.

Dont know how big you are but I find myself (at around 6 foot something) always being not quite medium and not quite large in clothes and now bikes
  • I recently bought a Carrera.
    I`m 5ft 10in , nearly 32 inside leggage. I tried an 18in frame in the shop, then tried the 20in...... i bought the 20 as it felt much more comfy.....i`ve since added flat bars too.

FWIW, my brother has i 17.5in melin malt, and the standover distance is exactly the same.....about an inch,and my missus 16" is again the same in standover height ,! ALSO, i think if you come off your bike, you`re gonna crash ye nads on the stem anyway,or come off sideways eating concrete, so standover distance is a load of bull poop ime. Each bike is different in geometary.

but what do i know, i look like george clooney, and wear flared kecks and winkle pickers....... :D
  • rob cole
    rob cole Posts: 706
    so standover distance is a load of bull poop ime

increased standover height makes a bike more nimble because you can lean much harder into turns without your thigh hitting the top tube

on a bigger fitting bike, the increased frequency of contact between your body and the frame discourages this riding style
    check out my riding - www.robcole.co.uk Banshee Factory Team rider, Da Kine UK Team rider, www.freeborn.co.uk www.eshershore.com
  • drh9uk
    Thanks everyone, appreciate your thoughts.

I've decided to try and take it back to Halfords - they only had the 20" frame when I looked and the assistant assured me it was right for me, but having read the above and spoken to some other stores it's clear it's not.

I called them and explained and they've said to take it in but said they generally only change bikes that are unridden. I've done a few miles on it, the only marks/dirt is on the tyres everything else is mint.

Anyone have any thoughts on what my chances are or if there's anything you can think of to help my cause? The more I think about it I feel I was wrongly advised.

Cheers.
  • tjm
    tjm Posts: 190
    I think all you can do is stress the wrongly advised bit and if you don't like their response escalate it up the halfords management. If you make enough fuss they will probably back down.

Try to stay polite but firm. Losing your temper generally makes people dig their heals in!
  • beski
    A product has to be 'fit for purpose' and if you were ill-advised about the size then you've every right to ask them to change for the smaller bike, because the larger one is not 'fit for purpose'. As long as the original is un-damaged
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
  • drh9uk
    Thanks, found this when having a look on the internet:

"Fit for purpose covers not only the obvious purpose of an item but any purpose you queried and were given assurances about by the trader."

That certainly sounds like something i can raise. Hopefully they'll be quite accommodating anyway and I won't have to, but it's good to know my concerns are valid!
  • supersonic
    I agree with that - but they may counter with that you tried the bike in the shop, and agreed to buy it as it suited, and by riding it a few times have 'accepted' the goods. Its a grey area - how can you fully know the goods are right without trying? And therfore how can you possibly send them back unused? I think you need to prove the shop really did mislead you. I am afraid to say though that at 6ft, the 20inch size is well within the bounds of most riders.
  • drh9uk
    Fair point, but having been into two alternative (also Halfords) stores and been advised that for riding off road the 20" is "far too big" I do feel I have a strong case. Also, although I agreed to buy the 20" it was entirely on their advice that I did so... but you're right a very grey area!

Guess I'll just have to see what they say, really hope it can be resoolved because I don't feel confident riding it at all. It's such an anticlimax after waiting so long (I've not been able to cycle for years due to numerous operations on my shoulder) and saving to get it.
  • supersonic
    The advice I would give, as a salesman, would be that you would best suited to an 18 or 20, what ever feels best to you. If anything, the staff that automatically said the 20inch was far too big are the ones in the wrong, as they are pigeon holeing!

What I am trying to do is to get you into the mind of the sales staff (and Halfords) and what you can expect to come up against and be prepared for it. I do think you have a point though, and I really do hope you resolve it - good luck!
  • drh9uk
    How would you have assessed that a certain frame was ok? I mean, the clearance is <1", and being very new to this I obviously didn't know what it should be!! This is what the second guy raised when saying it was far too big.

Thanks for all your help, really appreciate it - I'll let you know how I get on!
  • supersonic
    Usually you can tell a rider what size he isn't: but is a lot harder to tell him what he is lol, hence the testing. Many fall between 2, and two identical people may prefer different sizes. However, there are still some rules.

I wrote a little piece on sizing here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12566711

Standover is important, and I would agree that less than an inch is not very good for off roading. Not unusable, but not ideal. Length is the most imortant consideration, provided you have the clearance to start with. I think you may have a break through here, as I would recommend 2-3 inches minimum for offroad: if you cant get the right reach with that, then its another bike.
  • drh9uk
    Good news, the store have called me this morning and agreed to swap the bikes, as long as I'm happy to keep the used wheels/tyres from the old one.

Thanks again everyone for the advice, just have to wait until monday to pick it up now!!
  • beski
    Seems fair enough, good result! :P
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
  • Larok
    Larok Posts: 577
    great result, let us know how you get on.

Hopefully it will fit like a glove, but dont be afraid to tweak it to suit.