Todmorden?

GT Destroyer
GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
edited June 2008 in MTB rides
I am planning on a ride from Todmorden to Dewsbury. I was at Todmorden at the weekend and saw laods of blue cycle signs for the route 66. Now this is also the route I sometimes ride on from Dewsbury to Bradford, its an old dis-used railway. So I was thinking are the 2 the same??

The question is does anyone know if I can get from Todmorden to Dewsbury (or anywhere near Dewsbury) along a cycle route, avoiding roads, like using the canal for example?

Thanks.

Comments

• GT Destroyer
    Ta mate - Didn't know it was such a big thing!

Does anyone ride any of these routes? Any favourites?
  • danhx
    danhx Posts: 165
    From what I've seen they are mostly canal path/cycle path type routes. I pass a few signs for the 66 myself between Hebden and Halifax where I do my after work rides.

Be interested to hear how the route from Sowerby Bridge to Dewsbury is as I'll be doing it myself sometime this summer to see relatives in Wakefield.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    I'm in Heckmondwike and have done the Dewsbury to Bradford a few times and the idea of going to Todmorden quite interesting. If you can suss out the route let me know and I'll tag along with one day if you don't mind a slow one.

If you ever fancy the Leeds/Liverpool canal in either direct let me know.
  • GT Destroyer
    danhx wrote:
    From what I've seen they are mostly canal path/cycle path type routes. I pass a few signs for the 66 myself between Hebden and Halifax where I do my after work rides.

Be interested to hear how the route from Sowerby Bridge to Dewsbury is as I'll be doing it myself sometime this summer to see relatives in Wakefield.

I had a brief look and the route seems to stop at Elland in Brighouse, it goes all the way from Todmorden, but ends at Elland. Need to have another look, I'll be able to pick up the route again on the other side of Brighouse surely?
  • danhx
    danhx Posts: 165
    You can go from Elland (Halifax btw) > Mirfield on the canal path and then on to either Huddersfield or Dewsbury.
  • GT Destroyer
    I'll have to see if I can find it! In Halifax (Elland) Tomorrow I'm off to Todmorden, and am riding back to Dewsbury. I'll get to Halifax no problem, I should be able to find my way to the route which you referred to, the one to Mirfield then onto Dewsbury.

Where exactly is it in Halifax? The starting point?
  • GT Destroyer
    Did this ride last week on Friday, was great. Ended up just going a far as Hebden Bridge and riding back, it was canal paths 90% of the time. Took just over 3 hours altogether but that included a KFC stop and washing the bikes down too.

Would recommend it for someone who wants to have a hassle free day out on the bikes. There is nothing technical at all, nothing complicated, its just a nice long ride (20 miles)

A world apart from thrashing through Warncliffe!