Changing through the gears on a Trek 1.7

996JAT
996JAT Posts: 94
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
Hi,

This is gonna sound stupid i know.

I've done 250 miles so far on the Trek and have not really started changed gears much at all.

Now i'm more used to cycling on the roads. I have a question on the changing up & down of gears. Is it true that you should pause during changing up or down before pedaling again.

I tried changing while pedaling and it clunked at the rear and then changed. It changed but surely its not healthy without a pause.

Thanks
Jat

Comments

• topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Hi, the chain has to climb onto the next cog when you change gear (front or rear) so keep pedalling but back off the pressure a little. Sometimes you will hear a clonk sometimes it is nearly silent, depends how the chain catches the next cog.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    in the olden days of Sturmey Archer hub gears you'd have to stop pedalling to change gear. In contrast the derailleur system relies on you to keep pedalling in order to get the chain to move from one sprocket to the next. As topdude says, just don't try it when you're really stomping on the pedals.

I believe the Trek 1.7 has an Ultegra rear mech; it should be pretty quiet if properly set up. Maybe the indexing needs a little adjustment.
  • 996JAT
    996JAT Posts: 94
    Thanks Guys,

I was pedaling hard when changing I'm sure thats why it clonks otherwise tthe Ultegra rear is silent. I'll back of when changing.

Thanks
    Jat