Ever forgot to eat/drink?

indysmith
indysmith Posts: 276
edited June 2008 in MTB beginners
The first day i got my bike it rained.

The second day was glorious sunshine - so i jumped out of bed and onto the bike for a ride. This ride was only meant to be a short ride, before i'd come home, eat, drink, have a shower etc. before going on a proper test-run of the new cycle.
Before I knew it I'd done 25 miles, and thus was feeling very thirsty, and quite hungry. I was also 25 miles from home...
I ended up stopping at an old family friend's house for a drink, and felt much better. However, by the time i got half way home the effects of not eating were setting in heavily. I felt extremely weak, achey, tired, light headed and I was heaving (as in puking, but with nothing to come out) quite badly. Some of this may have been due to the fact that I'd undertaken a 50mile ride on an unfamiliar bike after a long time without any exercise, but it's pretty obvious the main concern was the lack of nourishment. The last couple of miles i felt more ill than ever before, and I really wasn't sure if I'd make it home without fainting - my balance was going and a pint of water clearly was not enough to fuel me for the whole day. there was nobody i could call, as i hadn't brought a phone or even a wallet with me. Eventually i made it home (which annoyingly is at the top of Whiteleaf Hill in the Chilterns!) and had the best meal of my entire life. Never again will I do that - I think it was all in all a good experience as it taught me the value of good nourishment, and now I always eat before a ride (even if i'm not hungry) and take bananas, flapjacks, and plenty of water with me on every ride, even if it's only a short one.

Anyone else been the utter fool that i was?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    oh yes, oh god yes! I've done that!
    Riding from my house, then deciding, to go up snowdon, then realising three quarters of the way up that I hadn;t eaten anything that day!

or, years ago, waking up late for school, jumping on my bike without breakfast, and trying to race the school bus! I very nearly did faint then.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Done it once, route was longer and harder than expected and I didn't have enough food. Last couple of miles were terrible (particularly because the missus was phoning me every 10 mins demanding I get home this instant, believe me if I could have got home faster I would as I really didn't enjoy the experience).

Think roadies call it the bonk or something.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Have done it once - never again.

Have the metabolism of the Challenger space shuttle and almost faint if hunger gets anywhere near me. Can be most inconvenient sometimes.
  • Max_Man
    Max_Man Posts: 185
    I didn't take the camelback the other day, thought it was going to be a short one on the track behind my house, 20 miles later and I was ready to suck the moisture out of rocks... :D

Had a banging headache for hours after.
  • Itsari
    Itsari Posts: 346
    did a charity bike ride ages ago - was about 40 miles - powered by a single block of weetobix - plus what seemed to be a fairly large blue bottle!

I had never been so happy too see a mcdonalds in my life - which happened to be at the finish.
  • simonj1234
    simonj1234 Posts: 47
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Have done it once - never again.

Have the metabolism of the Challenger space shuttle and almost faint if hunger gets anywhere near me. Can be most inconvenient sometimes.

I thought it was just me!! :D My girlfriend finds it strange that I won't leave the house without a monster breakfast that MUST contain meat, cereals last about 20 minutes before I'm hungry again. I don't trust people who skip breakfast though!!

I had to drop my car off at the garage and cycle the 4 miles back first thing yesterday morning. Despite what I wrote above, I missed breakfast and was absolutely shattered after about a mile!! I couldn't believe it!
  • jmeadows
    jmeadows Posts: 335
    nothing worse than bonking it out on your bike, lesson learned the hard way, like yourself :D
    never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side of life...
  • not done it myself, but my mate set off with just 1 bottle of water and ended up doing the Mary Townley loop (nearly 50 miles)! He later found out he'd done it the hard way too!
  • punctureboy
    punctureboy Posts: 217
    thats what i call my endurance ride! ok maybe not so far as puking but that will be down to dehydration. i always take lots of water cos i sweat buckets.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I always know when I have gone to long on the bike without eating. My brain keeps
    telling me to "oh, just pedal for a little bit , then you can coast" and it does this over and over and.....

Dennis Noward
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Opposite for me, i have the metabolism of a slug i have to be careful what i eat at times.

But water i do need to keep an eye on as does everyone else, but ive never let it get that bad, i have felt faint of a couple of occasions.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    felt similar to that on todays ride though i was fully fueled up. 3 litres of water+salt+lime juice in my camelbak and lots of cake. i think the problem was it was just really humid and heavy even at 8am i was starting to sweat quite alot. 30miles later and 20miles from home (shortcut) it was 11am and i was dripping in sweat, it was just pouring off me and with drinking lots of water i started feeling really full and bloated and strangly light headed and slighty feeling sick. i stopped a few times on the way back for cake (stodgy banana cake) and the strength finally came back to my legs just as i got home heh

if i had'nt had that food i would have been in much worse shape, i think that's the most i've ever sweated maybe i could have done with more salt in there? or maybe some sugar too?
    i drank about 2 1/2 litres over 4 1/2 hours, which i don't think was enough but i just could'nt drink anymore as it was making me feel sicker, weird.