potholes

ARob
ARob Posts: 143
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
expect most people know this site but is a great way to report potholes. once reported teh highway authority should deal with it.

http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/report

if they dont know its there its hard to make it safe so seems like a good deed for the day!

Comments

• I didn't know about it previously. Thanks very much.
    <hr noshade size="1">
    <font face="Tahoma"><font color="red"><font size="1"><b>Seeing as you\'ve got enough spare time to read this little signature could you please have a wee look at my attempt at a website at http://www.PunctureRepairKit.co.uk, if you don\'t mind? Thank you very much indeed! I hope you enjoy it and will input some information of your own to \'widen its spectrum\' rather.</b></font id="size1"></font id="red"></font id="Tahoma">
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    It really does pay to report a bad pothole because otherwise councils have a legal get-out - they can simply say that they were unaware of its existence.

There was a particularly bad pothole on a fast descent near me and it remained unfilled for over a year. I kept meaning to report it but I never got round to it, then one day a mate hit it and nearly came a cropper. Fortunately he was on his mountain bike so he had big tyres and suspension to absorb the impact - it would have been catastrophic on a road bike. I then reported the pothole and sent an email to Rochdale council to let them know that I'd reported it and reminded them that they then had a legal obligation to fill it . I gave them an OS grid reference so there was no doubt where it was. 24 hours later I received an email from the guy who'd been sent to fix it. He attached a photo of the filled hole and asked for confirmation that it was the 'right' one. He made a good job of the repair - it is still okay now, several years later.
  • but where do you report the a***holes?
    In the valley of high oil prices the cyclist is king!
  • ARob
    ARob Posts: 143
    but where do you report the a***holes?

i enjoyed that! :lol:

perhaps we need for 4x4 driver of the week thread. my nomination goes to a blue bmw 5 driver who thought it ok to drive at full speed and push me off the road on a climb this evening :evil:
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    ARob wrote:
    expect most people know this site but is a great way to report potholes. once reported teh highway authority should deal with it.

http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/report

if they dont know its there its hard to make it safe so seems like a good deed for the day!

I could spend all day reporting pot holes, and the GLC (or whatever it is called today) will be bankrupt if they actually did their job and repaired tham all.

I have book marked it now and I will start reporting them. I wont hold my breath though.
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    Oi, there's now't wrong with 4x4s - Next you'll be driving a car and assuming that all cyclists are evil RLJ'ing gesticulating, shouting bike couriers!

Maybe we can just add Surrey as one large pothole.
    Makes me laugh when we go on sportives, and the riders are moaning as if it's the worst road they've ever ridden - Try the North Downs!

Better still - the drain covers around the local pikey camp have all been stolen, leaving 1.5ft x 1ft x 4 foot deep craters!