Weighty Matters

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
How important is weight to good cycling performance? Obviously the higher the payload, the more work will have to be done but is it a case of total weight, or do the separate weights of bike and rider have important and different influences?

For example, if you are carrying a few extra pounds, is cash spent on a lightweight cycle wasted (assuming you don’t lose that weight through riding!)?

Thanks.
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• matthooper
    matthooper Posts: 39
    IMO spending big money on lighter bikes/components is wasted until you shift any excess weight you may have, as you obviously have to pull your own weight no matter how light the bike is. I weigh 80kg and am 171cm (5'8'') so technically on the slightly big side, so I wouldn't go carbon for example until i've shifted a few more kg........ :shock:
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    For me the difference between steel tourer and carbon road bike was about a stone in old money. That meant I got to enjoy the thrill of a fast bike without having to give up beer.

It was a good deal!

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    matthooper wrote:
    IMO spending big money on lighter bikes/components is wasted until you shift any excess weight you may have, as you obviously have to pull your own weight no matter how light the bike is. I weigh 80kg and am 171cm (5'8'') so technically on the slightly big side, so I wouldn't go carbon for example until i've shifted a few more kg........ :shock:

That's the same size as me!! I didn't think I was too overweight but just saw some photos from the Highclere sportive at the weekend and I look like a bloater :oops: :oops: Looks like I need to lose some weight!!
  • brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    It must have been his lense - i looked like the stay puff marsh mallow man and im a sprightly 105 kilos! Clearly equipment malfunction. :lol:
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    I've held off trying to cut weight from my bike until cut weight from my gut. Pretty much reached the limit on latter so buying the odd weight saver or two for the bike.

Re bike I believe there is a difference in terms of which bits you are talking about and what you want to do.

Time trialling I think its mainly about drag not weight so heavier may in some cases be better if means less drag or means rider is stronger.

I like climbing, especially long climbs in Alps etc and here cutting weight from wheels (I am told) should make a difference. However spending money on a carbon bottleholder is pointless (unless you are a bit sad like me and simply like the look of carbon).
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • i am a skinny so and so and ride on a heavy bike and take too much crap with me every ride.

until i get rich enough to buy an ultra light bike and ditch the survival paranoia over being prepared for everything i don't care for weight.

and neither should you... be happy, don't worry, do what you want, be free, live large, go for it, never forget who you are, free your mind etc etc etc
    In the valley of high oil prices the cyclist is king!