Orchid Cycle Essex - 8 Jun 08

Gesmi
Gesmi Posts: 35
Hello all. I've just joined the forum having lurked for a while.

Did anyone else do the Orchid Essex ride yesterday? 100 gently rolling miles of which 40 were in sunshine! I thought it a pretty nice and nicely pretty route, and a great contrast to the Chiltern Hilly Hundred which I did the week before!

Gesmi

Comments

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I did the 75 mile route. Wish I did the 100 as the terrain wasn't challenging in the least.

Pretty route route yes but lack of watering stations for 55 miles was a concern and no mark to where the split between the 100 and 75 mile route was.

Apart from that really enjoyed some real spectacular scenery.
  • Gesmi
    Gesmi Posts: 35
    It was a bit strange that the instructions implied there would be 10 refreshment stops, yet there seemed to be far fewer! We actually got lost and ended up in Great Dunmow - the route card is no good of course once you're off the route! I was a bit suprised not to be given some water at the end of the ride - having a pop band and a barbeque was nice but having to buy water was unusual, I thought.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Luckily I had a Garmin so was ok and the 75 was an Audaux route.

Lack of water though was a concern and I got a refill from a marshal for an equestrian event. Saved my bacon.