SXC Standards

boyfriday
boyfriday Posts: 103
edited June 2008 in XC and Enduro
Hey guys,

Looking for some advice on the sxc series. I really fancy entering races in the coming weeks/months but have no idea what to expect, or what category to go for.

I ride a fair bit and as an indication can cover the Glentress Red Route in around 1hr10mins (19km with some big climbs) - probably not that great in the grand scheme of things i admit.

Anyway, i am unsure whether i should be in the 'fun' or 'sport' category. The thought of doing 4 laps of a course in the 'sport' category doesn't scare me as i often go out on 50/60/70 mile rides on the road bike so i'm comfortable over long distances and being in the saddle maintaining a decent speed. Its the level of competition and the thought that i might be a hinderance that scares me.

However, i have heard that you get all sorts in the "fun" category and a friend has admitted to feeling overdressed in some races with his lycra and whippy hardtail. I would probably be suitably attired and wouldn't want to stand out like a sore thumb.

I suppose i crave some sort of competition and that would be the 'sport' category, but an indication as to the level of the riders involved would be much appreciated. Is there a huge jump from 'fun' to 'sport'? I see that the times are not far off (1-2mins) that of the Elite riders which is slightly worrying.

Many thanks

Comments

• Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    Go for the sport category. You wont come in last. Theres al ways going to be some who is slower than you. Just remebr to go at your own pace and not trying to burn it from the front. I get that problem when i race. I have fast first laps then start to tail off as the race progresses. As for the clothes I race in baggies and a 13kg hardtail so its all about having fun for me. Once you do one race you'll want to do another. It gets quite addicitve.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    heh tell that to the guy that comes last :lol:

I say go for it, that compoetaive edge will squese a bit more out of you on the day.

I did my 1st race in febuary and had the same worries you do. Gave it my best and had a result i am fairly happy with, now i cant wait for the next one.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • boyfriday
    Thanks for the advice. It is much appreciated.

I will probably pop along to Glennifer Braes as a spectator for the next round and then cut my teeth (hopefully not literally) at the Fort William event next month.

I have done a few laps of the Fort William track before so at least know what to expect - although i look forward in trepidation to the climb out of the car-park if it's used for this race.

That thing taught me all sorts of lessons last time i done it - unfortunately i happened to be doing it on the same day as the GB National Squad (possibly the Olympic Development members as they seemed fairly fresh-faced) and couldn't help at marvel as they cantered past me like they were on the flat!
  • streako
    streako Posts: 2,937
    The category depends on your age. Sport is 20-30 years old and masters is 30-40, vets is 40-50, grand vets, 50+, etc.
    It sounds like you are pretty handy, so I would say go for it. The entry fee is around 20 quid and IIRC the Elite/Masters/Sport start pretty much at the same time, normally about 2ish. Im sure fun is only a couple of laps anyway so perhaps not worth doing for an experienced rider. Elite is 5 laps, sports and masters 4 laps.

Before that there are the rounds of women, juveniles, vets, etc, so you can watch them for a few hours to get in the mood.

If in doubt start at the back of the bunch, try to keep up for a while and if you are feeling good then pass slower riders on the fireroad climbs. Dont pass on the downs or singletrack as this could cause a collision.
    Another reason to enter is that the series has a points table so any points picked up here will go to your final score.

If you finish last, so what? Someone has to, and more credit to the guy who enters and finishes last than to the guy who doesnt enter at all.
  • boyfriday
    Very true indeed - i'm 25 at the moment so Sport is the category for me.

Here goes nothing!
  • traceywond
    traceywond Posts: 13
    Hey i'm a girly doing the fun race at Glennifer.

Never been before s can I ask what's it like: hilly, technical, loose, singletrack?? Haven't a clue!
  • streako
    streako Posts: 2,937
    Tracey - I havent been to Gleniffer myself, but I suspect it will be rooty, muddy, etc. Scottish courses are usually quite technical.

Best idea is to post up on the SXC forum, plenty of experienced racers on there.