What bike to buy?

oj108
oj108 Posts: 4
edited June 2008 in MTB beginners
Hello all,

Please could some kind people in the know offer me some much needed advice?

I'm new to MTB. I am looking to buy a mid range bike for the occassional trail ride and the daily commute.

I have between £300 - £500 pounds to spend. Which I know is not that much.

Some recommended Giants - Rainer, Terrago or XtC 4.5. Are there better options in this price range?

Any adive would be most appreciated!!

Comments

• Jimmy Mc
    Jimmy Mc Posts: 35
    Have a butchers in the buying advice forum as your first stop.

However, July's MBR mag has a review of £500 hard tails. The Kona Blast wins that but also look at the Specialized Rockhopper or GT Avalanche 1.0.

Slightly cheaper - my mate has a Specialized Hard Rock Comp and that seems pretty good. I think he got that for around £300.

Oh and your budget's perfect for getting started. As countless people here will tell you - it's all about enjoying it firstly. Once the bug has bitten you properly you can upgrade or buy new bikes as much as your finances allow! I got my first bike (orange G2) 3 months a go and am having a whale of a time.
  • oj108
    Cheers Jimmy. Much appreciated. I will have to have a look at the July issue.
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    have a look at this months its got a £300 review as well
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    You can get a real bargain by checking out second hand bikes. You start to run in trouble when going through the free ads as you still don't know what you are getting but I strongly recommend calling around all your local bike stores and asking if they have an ex demo bikes or a last seasons model going cheap. An ex demo bike will be regularly serviced by the shop mechanic and should be in great nick and will be a real bargain. A last seasons model will be unused but discounted. Following these rules you will get more bike for your money in relative safety. I got my girlfriend a GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc (normally £500 new) for £240 as an ex demo bike. Came with brand new tyres and a new chain and is spotless. If you're not sure about these ideas - the GT Avalanche series is good value for money and the 1.0 Disc has a great spec.
  • oj108
    Thanks - great ideas. Better get calling!!
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    There is usually loads of last seasons bikes going for a big hunk off their original price in the shop adverts at the back of the mags. Pick a few up and see what bike has the biggest original retail price that is now in your price range and you're sure to be getting something that's good value for money!
  • 900R
    900R Posts: 13
    GT Avalanche 1.0 ! ! :lol: