Maxxis or Schwalbe XC recommendations

Ash_
Ash_ Posts: 385
edited June 2008 in XC and Enduro
Hi,

I've been running Schwalbe Smart Sam tyres on my XC bike. I actually thought they were OK, but seeing as the last XC tyres I had were Onza Rip/Rail from years ago, I don't have a very good point of reference.

I'm beginning to suspect that there's better out there, but need some advice...
Looking through the forums here, Maxxis Holy Rollers seem to get a lot of recommendations, but they seem huge to me (I want something fairly thin / lightweight as they will be for racing on).

I'm not really up for swapping tyres for different conditions either, so something that's just "All round brilliant at everything. Ever" is the kind of tyre that I'm after (or as near to such a thing as exists!).

Can anyone offer up any suggestions?

Oh, and I want to buy them from my LBS for once, which really means Maxxis or Schwalbe - they stock the full range of those, but only odds and ends of other manufacturers.

Cheers in advance...

Comments

• Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    if your after lightweight holy rollers are certainly not what you are after. Whats your budget?
  • Langers
    Langers Posts: 95
    Schwalbe Racing Ralphs?
  • Ash_
    Dan67 wrote:
    if your after lightweight holy rollers are certainly not what you are after. Whats your budget?

I won't say money's no object - but I don't mind shelling out a bit if I'm going to be happy with what I get (I mean, we're talking tyres here, not forks - I think it's one upgrade where I can afford to look at higher end products).
  • Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    Langers wrote:
    Schwalbe Racing Ralphs?

spot on great tyres. Not fantastic in mud but clears well and when you have hard pack you'll roll like a dream. It wont have the perfomance of true mud tyres but if you can't be bothered to change them i would go with them as you will find it gives you better grip in the dry so you have more fun and control out of them. Great grip in the dry. the side walls are a little bit thin so try not ride too close to the rocks. I love mine though.

another thought is the panaracer razor which is meant to be a good tyre from other users reviews. I can't comment on them though as i havent used them
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I use Schwalbe.In the winter I use a Nobby Nic front and rear,in the summer,I run a Racing Ralph on the back with a Nobby Nic on the front.This combination works well,the Nobby Nic giving good front end grip and the confidence to attack corners,while the Racing Ralph gives low rolling resistance on the back,where its effect is more noticeable.Despite the low profile tread,the Racing Ralph still works in all but the gloopiest mud,if you pedal carefully.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Ash_
    Cheers for the info...

I went for a pair of Racing Ralphs, and will probably think about getting a Nobby Nic to go on the front when conditions worsen. The Schwalbe "3-tire-system" seems to make a lot of sense (although I don't think I'll need to bother with the Furious Freds).

I'm impressed by how much lighter they are than the Smart Sams, they feel more supple too. Still got to see how they ride though...