Click in bottom bracket!

hopper26
hopper26 Posts: 73
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
Hi

i have been n a ride today and realized a click every time i push down on each pedal. I think that there might be something loose in there. Any help would be really good. I run shimano ultegra if that helps.

Thanks
Tom
Born 2 ride!

Comments

• Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    could be a number of things but sounds like the Bottom Bracket may need replacing.

you can also read this thread to see if any of the methods help you out

http://tinyurl.com/593h5t
    cartoon.jpg
  • What sort of BB is it ?

i.e Hollowtech / Isis/ etc
    weight.png
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    hopper26 wrote:
    Hi

i have been n a ride today and realized a click every time i push down on each pedal. I think that there might be something loose in there. Any help would be really good. I run shimano ultegra if that helps.

Thanks
    Tom

Before replacing anything, suggest taking out the BB and giving it a thorough clean with a rag. Lightly grease and reassemble to correct torque settings. At the same time, worthwhile cleaning and regreasing your pedal threads.

Might resolve your problems without the need for spending any cash :D

PS Check that your seatpost is greased (unless it is carbon) and appropriately tightened....
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My recent clicking both sides when pushing hard was solved by tightening the crank bolts a bit. Easy to try without dismantling anything. Best to use a torque wrench though.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Have a play around with it if you can, but otherwise if you don't want to do it yourself get down to the bike shop. I had a similar problem recently and it turned out that the bottom bracket is knackered. I'm just waiting for the mechanic to get in the replacement. The thing that sealed it as being the bottom bracket for me was the fact that the cranks were deinitely on tight, but that there was lateral play if you gave the cranks a good tug.
  • hopper26
    hopper26 Posts: 73
    On my ultegra left crankarm there are allen key bolts. To get that off do i undo them to give it a good clean and to check everthing.
    Born 2 ride!
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    hopper26 wrote:
    On my ultegra left crankarm there are allen key bolts. To get that off do i undo them to give it a good clean and to check everthing.

Ideally you want to take the bottom bracket out of the frame. This link will help you understand how to to this, and which tools you will need. If it isn't a hollowtech II BB, then the correct pdf will be easy to find on the site. http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 607279.pdf
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    As has been said earlier, check your pedals as well - these are beggars for creaking!

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!