Replacing Suntour Forks

900R
900R Posts: 13
edited June 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi,
I have recently bought a GT Avalanche 1.0 and i'm thinking about changing the forks (Suntour X-100). Will rock Shox Reba / Tora fit straight on ?[/b]

Comments

• BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    You'll need to cut the steerer (unless you want to run spacers underneath or on top of the stem) and you may need a different bracket if the new fork has different brake mounts, but other than that you should be fine!
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • 900R
    Ok,
    Thanks ! :D
  • simonj1234
    simonj1234 Posts: 47
    I'm on a GT Avalanche 1.0 as well and I'm thinking of switching the forks. Let us know how they are when you change and whether there's a difference. :)

I find the Suntours a little squidgy, may I ask what you think to them?
  • Paul Sh
    Paul Sh Posts: 607
    You will also need the crown race off the old forks.
  • BlackSpur
    Paul Sh wrote:

Either get your LBS to do this themselves or use this tool to do it properly. Otherwise you are likely to end up damaging your fork crown which will affect resale value (although probably not by the cost of the tool!) It is probably worth paying a tenner (or so) to get the shop to fit it for you, so you get everything swapped over in the right order, brakes moved over and steerer tube cut perfectly.
  • 900R
    simonj1234 wrote:
    I'm on a GT Avalanche 1.0 as well and I'm thinking of switching the forks. Let us know how they are when you change and whether there's a difference. :)

I find the Suntours a little squidgy, may I ask what you think to them?

I would have to agree with you with regard to the "performance" ! although this may be due to the fact i've only had the bike a few days. other than that superb bike for the money ! :lol:
    When i change them i will get my local shop to change them to save any aggro.
  • 900R
    BlackSpur wrote:
    Paul Sh wrote:

Either get your LBS to do this themselves or use this tool to do it properly. Otherwise you are likely to end up damaging your fork crown which will affect resale value (although probably not by the cost of the tool!) It is probably worth paying a tenner (or so) to get the shop to fit it for you, so you get everything swapped over in the right order, brakes moved over and steerer tube cut perfectly.

and also will stop the wife complaining about cycle parts in the front room ! :lol:
  • BlackSpur
    Hehe, store them in her wardrobe instead!