Marin - height gain?

judith_sw
judith_sw Posts: 101
edited June 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi,

Does anyone know what the total ascent on the Marin route is? In Bikefax it says 450m, but my computer says nearer 1500m - one is wildly out. Any idea which one? I must admit that 450m seems less than all the climbing, but 1500 seems way OTT. I'm knackered anyway!

Judith

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Maybe one of them is stating maximum altitude minus minumum altitude, and the other is stating how much climbing you're doing in total?
    Or, your computer is telling you the distance you've cycled uphill, whereas the other is stating vertical climb only? (I'd put money on this explanation, personally)

Incidentally, Gwydyr Forest's own trail map also states 450m of climbing.
    The MBR route in Coed Y Brenin has 410m of climbing, so 450 seems about right for the Marin trail.
  • judith_sw
    I've been looking at the profile again and it all appears to make sense ... initial climb of about 200m, big descent then another climb of about 180m, then loads of smaller climbs 50m and less - definitely adds up to much more than 450m. Maybe it includes ALL ascent, even when it's lost. Snowdon is listed as 1050m, but that's OK, as it's an uphill run with no descents until you hit the top!
  • Anonymous
    hmm, so that points to 450m being the difference in altitude between the highest and lowest points on the trail then i guess.

what did you think of the marin trail anyway?
  • judith_sw
    Unfortunately highest seems to be 331m with lowest 81m ... confused.

Loved the trail - second time I've done it - much drier and faster conditions today!
  • Anonymous
    hmm, very strange.
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    If it's only 450m then they must measure metres differently in that part of Wales, it definitely felt more like double that when I did it last year.

Wasn't mad on it myself, too much fireroad vs singletrack and - ahem - quiet a lot of climbing for seemingly not enough descent.
  • Anonymous
    Chaka, I agree wholeheartedly about too much climbing for not enough fun.
    It's definitely the worst waymarked trail I've ridden. However, lots of people love it.
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Chaka, I agree wholeheartedly about too much climbing for not enough fun.
    It's definitely the worst waymarked trail I've ridden. However, lots of people love it.

The first and last time i rode it I got completley lost, ended up doing the same route in various directions adn spent way too much time going up
  • Anonymous
    I didn't mean the most badly waymarked trail, I meant the worst trail that I have ridden, which is waymarked :lol:
  • judith_sw
    So what are your recommendations for waymarked trails in North Wales? I love not having to rely on a map all the time!!! I did like the Marin, maybe because it was the first one of that type I've tried, but if there are better, then I'll definitely put them on the list :lol:

I liked Penmachno, but spent most of the second half of the second loop thinking I was lost, when in fact I wasn't. I was worn out on that too! :oops:

Karrimor?
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Get down to Penmachno, About 15 miles south of Marin. It is similar in that it starts with a horrific climb but many of the descnets actually run parallel to a fireroad so if you enjoyed it you can easily retrace the fireroad back to the head of the singletrack - and The descents are absolutely top notch. I think it is worth the extra 20 min drive from the Marin every time.
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    Of course I forgot I was in the beginners forum when I posted my previous comment, and it's not a bad route for beginners (if they're fit).

It's just that the other trails in N Wales are so much better.

I'd especially recommend the MBR route and the Tarw routes at Coed y Brenin. Both quite a bit more technical, but have much more singletrack.

Either the long or short routes at Nant yr Arian are also highly recommended. And the Cli-Machx route near Machynlleth.