Ladies Audax / Light Touring bike??

Muzak
Muzak Posts: 78
edited July 2008 in Tour & expedition
Hi

Need to find one of these for a lady. Can anyone recommend something? Ideally steel.

Thanks, Muzak.

Comments

• heatonrider
    heatonrider Posts: 109
    Depends where you live but Paul Hewitt's Cheviot is my recommendation. For my money it would be worth a trip to see him anytime. I am just buying my second bike from him and his set up is 2nd to to nothing. He does measurements on a jig and work outs precisely what you need. A fine investment!
  • Muzak
    Muzak Posts: 78
    Thanks. Does anyone else have any other suggestions also?
  • Slightly different approach, but Mrs G has got an XS Spesh Tricross Sport, which we've just toured on. She didn't need to change any components at all - she's 5ft tall, and found it all fine.

Not steel, not an audax bike, but perhaps more versatile?
  • mandie
    mandie Posts: 218
    Chas Roberts, not cheap but as good as you'll get. and it will be steel.
    We\'ll kick against the darkness \'till it bleeds daylight
  • underlay
    underlay Posts: 15
    I bought mine 18 months ago from Byer Cycles in Clifton, Bedfordshire. It is their super tourist (see http://www.byercycles.co.uk/bikeprice%2 ... 08/04B.htm). I visited the shop as it was near where I live so was able to try different sizes for fit. I am 5'4" and went for the medium frame with a short stem. Fits like a glove. If you have the money to spare I would certainly recommend them for a ladies tourer.

Vicky
  • Nack
    Nack Posts: 61
    Hi Muzak,

My girlfriend owns a Trek Pilot 1.2, and we've done quite a lot of touring with it without any problems, she loves the bike! There are eyelets which allows for a good rack to be fitted - ok, you can't carry too much (as you might be better off getting a proper tourer if you want to do some heavy/longer touring) but it's perfect for a week's worth of light touring in the summer! The bike is very light (aliminum frame, carbon forks) and can be used for faster rides too. The only downfall is tyre clearance, as you anything wider than 28mm won't fit... so not to be recommended if you're planning to go offroad!
  • charliemil
    charliemil Posts: 15
    My wife went to Paul Hewitt. Well worth the effort and the wait for the bike. Paul takes a great deal of care setting the bike up and getting the fit correct. Although she purchased an off the peg frame, Paul helped in choosing all he components such as shorter cranks,short drop bars etc. Wheels were built by Paul. The bike is perfect for her.