Penmachno route map wanted - or short cuts advice!

bluechair84
bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
edited July 2008 in MTB rides
I'm getting my partner into riding atm but her stamina (and secretly mine too...) isn't really up to the full Penmachno experience. I can't find a trail map anywhere on the net, a lot of websites don't even seem to know of this amzing trail's existence!
If anyone could help with a map or knows of a short cut to half the mileage.
Cheers

Comments

• There are two loops with one easier than the other. Map here: http://www.dilan4.com/
    Don't recall if they are waymarked seperately. Must say Penmachno is a fantastic course but it's best experienced with some mile sunder oyur belt before hand :)

It's not a very good map tho.

Honestly I wouldn't take a newbie to Penmachno - you'll just put em off. I'd take her to Llandegla or one of the easier trails at Coed y Brenin. Once you comfortable with these type of routes you can tackle the others. Easiest manmade trail I can think of is probably Cannok Chase - not very physical nor technical and a fantastic introduction.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Good find, thanks for that. I did find a picture that someone had posted online of a photo of a map... was pretty poor quality so that's a better one to study.
  • Santibes
    Santibes Posts: 46
    Click on "all sizes" for large version
  • Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    As Rocketmagnet said, Penmachno is not the best for a beginner but you can quite easily cut it in half and also miss out what is, in my opinion, the most difficult section.

The map on dilan4 only shows Loop 1 so you should just stick to this for starters as both loop 1 and 2 is quite a tough ride.

With reference to the map on dilan 4 take the following shortcuts:-

Go from waymarker 13 to waymarker 24.

Go from waymarker 29 to 41 (cutting out the most technical section and the unpleasant climb that follows it!)

I did this route a couple of weeks ago when I wanted to take a test bike to Penmachno and Llandegla in the same morning. It took me less than half the time it would normally take me to do loop 1. It still includes the 2 best downhill sections (in my opinion).

Stu
  • cambo
    cambo Posts: 125
    Don't even bother with Penmachno, its a tough trail for an average rider, never mind a beginner (albeit an amazing place to ride...). As someone else said, go to Llandegla, at least there you can start off with all intentions of doing the whole thing, but if you're done in at the top you can fork off and do the blue route, which to be fair isn't a bad little run for a beginner - its fairly easy, but you can get some good speed up without worrying about whats coming.

Although, if you get to the top you may as well do the full red at least, it isn't that far and is very good to learn the basics on - just be prepared to walk the wooden section when you get alongside the stream, especially if its wet cos you don't want to come off on that that, take it from someone who knows!!!