Floating Rotor??? What is one?

ThanksBye
ThanksBye Posts: 519
edited June 2008 in MTB beginners
I have heard people talk about Floating Rotors when talking about disk brakes, what is a floating rotor please?
Cotic Soul
Pearson Hanzo
Airborne Zeppelin

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    A two piece rotor - a steel outer section which is riveted to a aluminium inner (spider), which bolts to the hub. The rivets allow float and movement between the two, which stops the rotor from warping under extreme heat due to different epansion rates of the metals. The design also saves weight, but the average rider wont really notice any benefits.
  • abbots_mike
    abbots_mike Posts: 280
    Isn't there also something to do with the fact that aluminium conducts heat far more effectively than steel, thus drawing heat away from the braking surface
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    No, mike.
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    Well written Supersonic.

Mainly used for people who do Downhill or All Mountain or
    when riding constant steep decents.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    One thing to add, they aren't all steel/alu, there are Ti/carbon ones which are supremely pimp!
  • Anonymous
    Floating rotors aren't useful if your bike is lighter than air. You need non floating rotrs, to anchor your steed to the ground.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    *groan*....
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Anonymous
    BlackSpur wrote:
    *groan*....
    What? I'm doing a public service. Some people take reducing bike weight a dangerous extreme you know.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I was looking 'round the weight weenies site the other day and there are some seriously skinny bikes on there!
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Anonymous
    I don't understand those wight weenies, surely a mountain bike is something that should be capable of taking a hell of a lot of abuse, and just as importantly, making you feel like it can take a load of abuse.
    Every time I've ridden a superlight machine, I've just been scared of breaking it.
  • icedmind
    icedmind Posts: 206
    floating rotors as what you know is made by normally alu/steel
    the advantage is its better at ventilate the head caused by braking
    also its way lighter than normal rotor with the same braking power that the rotor can give(braking surface area)
    of coz with hope you can match the hub colour, make them look sexy etc.
    the only disadvantage is they are softer than normal rotor bcoz the alu bit (just can easily bend after you accidiently lay your disc against sth. )
    hope and shimano makes awesome floating rotors i would go for them instead of normal rotors(make sure your disc caliper can take them)
    also they re not brittle :wink:
    08 Swork Stumpy FSR with 3 brains
    "2Brains. A Singletrack Mind ", from specialized <<<suppose if the rider doesnt have one
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    icedmind wrote:
    floating rotors as what you know is made by normally alu/steel
    the advantage is its better at ventilate the head caused by braking
    also its way lighter than normal rotor with the same braking power that the rotor can give(braking surface area)

not always true.

and they also in some cases are not as good at dissipating heat.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown