maybe some help required?

geronya bakubitch
edited June 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi, i`m new to mb`ing, and want to step up fitness...i haven`t ridden for 15 or so years, and terribly unfit.

However, i`m in a quandry. I`m strapped for cash at the moment, rising debts and mortgage rates, and i was given a bike by a friend of mine. It is a 22in claud butler cross country bike. HOWEVER, i`m only 5ft 2" AND THE BIKE IS/WAS MILES TOO BIG FOR ME.!

So, as i am in the car trade (bodywork, panel beating) i am quite proficient in welding. I have already cut the top bar off the bike with the grinder, and took 5in off the seat stem, reducing the 22in to around 17 odd inches, BUT i cant get the geometary right on the bike after re-weding the bike back up.maybe the heat has twistede something, but everything looks ok by eye??? Plus, it has seemed to have warped somewhat at the rear, the rear wheel is slightly offset.... bugger.

Any tips on how to get this sorted?
Thx in advance :)

Comments

• i'm sorry, but, LMAO!!!
    funniest thing i've read all year, and, ARE YOU SERIOUS????
    tell me its a wind up????/ LMFTO! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • errrr.... no :shock:

I cant get the bloody back to realign, the back wheel is about 2cm out when looking from the front of the bike, but looking from all other angles, looks spot on by eye. I don`t know how this has happened? Maybe claud butler manufacture these bikes like this for a reason, a matre said it coulbe be that it was set up for an right hand oval track, and helps with the "speed and handling" on a circuit. Please tell me this is correct, and i`m worrying over nothing. I took it out tonight, and indeed it does want to turn right all the time, so maybe there is some truth in what he says?

cheers.
  • You didn’t make a geometry jig before starting work like this?

What kind of engineer are you? Sorry if that’s a bit harsh but I reckon you have busted it.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Your frame is dead I am afraid!
  • update:

I`ve put the bike on a chassis straigtening jig this morning,(for cars chassis) and was a bit over zelous. i set it too high, and as it pulled the bike in either direction, it snapped the bike in 2....bugger.

I`ll get the mig welder out again today...looks like i`ll be busy...... :shock:

should be ok though, as we say in the trade.... it`ll come out with a bit of t-cut.
  • john74
    john74 Posts: 254
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D lmao who ever is doing this wind up. ive got to admit its pretty funny.
    2010 Forme Reve
    2010 Giant Talon 1
  • john74
    john74 Posts: 254
    you could always cut the broken tube out and weld some scaffold poles in there instead, or just stick them on with chewing gum instead of welding.
    2010 Forme Reve
    2010 Giant Talon 1
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd make a mixture up of weetabix and milk, and use as the adhesive. Anyone who has left a bowl with this stuff on the side for a day or too will know what I mean when they try and clean it. It sets like granite.
  • kenone
    kenone Posts: 113
    ffs thats the funniest thing ive read in ages :lol:
    Get your dog off my lawn!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    we need pics or none of it happened
  • Seems like the bike is alloy, thought it was light steel.

Mig welded it, and bloody well melted another 1in off the top tube :shock: and burned through the gear and brake cables... aint my day today. Lucky thing is, i`ve got some spare accelorator cables from a fiat punto that fit. It seems to be realigning now, just need to get the spot welder out, and grind the welds down.... yippeee. Also, i`ve got some lovely 2 pack paint to go on , it was left over from a previous job.... get it baked in the oven later tonight, and i`ll borrow a mates camera and post pics up.

Should have got a 17in in the first place, but i have no money and it was kind of dave to give me the bike. I thought an adults bike was an adults bike... lesson learned i think.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    looking forward to it, is it straight now?
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    You didn't strip the frame down before you started welding it?
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • wallisdene
    wallisdene Posts: 60
    Definitely a windup I reckon... f***ing funny first post though :lol:
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    Sorry but if this is not a wind up then I have been reduced to tears of laughter by your misfortune.
    Is your real name Frank Spencer? :wink:
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    What colour are you going to spray it? :lol:

Must be a wind up thread, very funny
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Aye tis a wind up lol.

My name is si, i`ve just bought a mb, my brother (deafasapost) pointed me to here for some tips as i`m a noob to mb`ing.

I`ll be posting serious q`s on some good trails and where`s best to go.

cheers guys,
    si.
  • lmao, thread of the year imo! :)
  • BlackSpur
    Well done! Best windup thread I've ever seen!
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Haha, you so should have kept this going for as long as :)
    Melt a bit more off the seatstays and have to fit a kids rear wheel and make a chopper, change your mind from MTBing and turn to BMXing by hacking down the forks on your knackered 22inch frame, melt some spokes when dropping the welder and have to rebuild the wheel with string... And to finish it; rave about how you have accidentally created the greatest handling, sweetest drifing bike ever made... This could have gone on forever :)
  • BlackSpur
    Think it would have got past the stage when people were still unsure whether or not it was a windup though!
  • ddw
    ddw Posts: 48
    great laugh!
    Kona Coiler (05)
    Kona Fire Mountain