Beating age for 25TT

bahzob
bahzob Posts: 2,195
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
Just an idle thought but is managing to better your age for a 25TT a recognised cycling achievement? Thought prompted by impending 50th birthday and doing event Wed night where John Woodburn took part (did 59 mins at, I think 71 years), while one of our club managed 65 minutes at 76 years of age.
Martin S. Newbury RC

Comments

• huggy
    huggy Posts: 242
    Woodburn is pretty amazing in terms of cycling, if memory serves me correctly he held the LEJOG record of 45 hours?
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    doning a 25 @ age of 76 in 65 mins or in 59 mins at 71 years old- means these two are probably not beginners

They're far faster than me
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Not normaly used as a guide. A 40 year old would have to be a bit good. There are 'Standard times' used in vets competition listed here.
    http://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/rider_information_targettimes.asp
    These are based on records from some years back. Results are calculated by how much a rider is under (-) or over (+) the target for his age. Your target would be 1-07-15 at 50 years of age. Some 60 year olds are doing -15 min times, that is around 57 min so you may have to start training.
  • sloboy
    sloboy Posts: 1,139
    Blimey - those charts go up to 85 ! That gives us all hope.

Also encouragingly for me, I'm at about those time @ 48 , and if I look back at the equivalent standards for young whipper snappers, they're quite respectable.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    huggy wrote:
    Woodburn is pretty amazing in terms of cycling, if memory serves me correctly he held the LEJOG record of 45 hours?

Spot on. Not only that but think he was 47 at the time. May be a unique example of beating your age?
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    bahzob wrote:
    Just an idle thought but is managing to better your age for a 25TT a recognised cycling achievement? Thought prompted by impending 50th birthday and doing event Wed night where John Woodburn took part (did 59 mins at, I think 71 years), while one of our club managed 65 minutes at 76 years of age.
    It would be at my age (36) :D
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • I shall be happy if I'm cycling at all at 76. In fact, I will count it an achievement even to make it to 76 :)