Highclere Sportive: Beware of turns on early hills.

bahzob
bahzob Posts: 2,195
The other Highclere thread has moved on to matters new, so just posting this as warning to those riding on Sunday (and its new since last years route)

As mentioned here....
http://www.cyclegb.co.uk/index.php?main=sportives&sub=notes

Following first ascent after 16km or so you turn right at T and after a short while descend a single track road.

Engage low gear during this descent. At the bottom there is a very sharp left corner with holes/gravel on inside and you immediately hit a steep climb. If you are in your big ring you will most likely come to a grinding halt and keel over.

(After this climb there is another descent down a single track road that ends with a 90degree turn right into short/steep. Much less worrisome than above but again best be off big ring).

Dont think there is anything as bad for rest of ride (but dont quote me on this)
Martin S. Newbury RC

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,452
    I'd imagine they'll put a marshal in place for this as the left turn is at a t-junction. You can't miss it, after suffering up an impossibly steep hill you'll turn right then after a couple of hundred metres descend sharply back down the ridge. As you enter a wooded section, and be careful as the road will be covered with gravel, the left turn is about 100 metres away.

Enjoy it. I'm missing it this year due to other commitments but am from this area originally and my parents still live there so know the roads well.