Haro Extreme X3 (2003) a good buy ?

Kerry T
Kerry T Posts: 14
edited June 2008 in MTB beginners
Hello all

As some of you may have seen in my previous post I am getting a mtb for my hubby's birthday and had decieded to get him a spesh rockhopper hardtail comp

now yesterday him told me a friend of his was selling his mtb and he seems very interested , I have not told him yet about me buying him a new bike but have now been wondering if the Haro bike his friend is selling would be a good buy for him

It would be great if somebody could have a look at the below spec for me and let me know if it anygood ? he is asking £500 ono for the bike

here is a copy of the email he sent hubby .................
Spectacularly fun 5" front and rear travel bike, Medium frame (17.5"). Clone of the Heckler, (amazing bang for the buck)... There isn't a lot I haven't upgraded either, Roox seatpost, WTB seat + grips, Prodigy Headset, Titec Bars, XT front and rear gears, V12 platforms, etc.

Hydraulic F & R discs, quickshift gears, and a water bottle holder - what more can you ask for. and thats before the hundreds in upgrades I've added to it !!

Very good nick, though the Psylo XCs on the front might need an oil top up, as its been sitting idle for >12 months...

£500 ONO

http://www.harobikes.com/2003/ex3.html

And here is a photo of the bike..................
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn67/kerryt08/HaroX3.jpg

Comments

• Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    The tone of that email would put me right off. Sounds like he doesn't really know what he's on about and it's a bit patronising (sorry if he's a good mate!).

I'd go for the Rockhopper - piece of mind, and it will probably last much better too.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I think Matt's right, it sounds abit like an ebay ad to be honest. He details the fact there's a water bottle holder and yet doesn't say what brand / model the brakes are. If it hasn't been used for year there is a good chance a lot will need servicing and you may find the drive train is worn (might need need crank, cassette and chain which could set you back over £ 100). From the picture (don't know the bike personally) the rear shock looks a bit basic and the frame doesn't look that great.

I'd go for the new Rockhopper, it's a brand new bike with backup if you buy it from a local bike shop. I know I'd rather have a brand new bike as a pressie rather than a second hand one. I wonder if you husband's enthusiasm for the Haro is based on the fact it's available, if he new you'd already decided he needs a new bike you may find his aspirations change.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd avoid it, its old, and if needs parts replacing ie worn pivots, it could get very expensive.

WOuldn't be worth 500 if it was brand new.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    you have done the right thing to ask first. i am normally the forums biggest advocate for full suspension bikes but even i wouldnt think that was a good idea and as for 500 quid, not a chance.
  • loddrik
    loddrik Posts: 129
    500 will get you something much better than both, in classifieds or on ebay.
  • Surf-Matt
    Loddrik - you still on TSN?!
  • loddrik
    loddrik Posts: 129
    Loddrik - you still on TSN

Ha ha ha, :lol:

Not been on there for a while now, postgraduate education has deprived me of nice cars now so my loyalties have switched.

Drive a bloody touran now as I can get my bikes in it. Though just found out getting a new job so hopefully the wife will have an Alpina by the new year :twisted:

How about yourself?
  • switchback18
    switchback18 Posts: 617
    Yeh I agree with most of the replies - although it's not a bad bike, it's not worth anywhere near £500.

http://www.chasingtrails.com
  • Surf-Matt
    loddrik wrote:
    Loddrik - you still on TSN

Ha ha ha, :lol:

Not been on there for a while now, postgraduate education has deprived me of nice cars now so my loyalties have switched.

Drive a bloody touran now as I can get my bikes in it. Though just found out getting a new job so hopefully the wife will have an Alpina by the new year :twisted:

How about yourself?

Vaguely similar here - lost interest in cars (ahem - still got the Astra which simply does the job and now got a Jimny to tow the boat :lol::lol: I did test an FQ360 the other day though...!) almost completely - rather spend money on boat fuel, the odd nice holiday and on the baby which is due in September (how is yours?)
    All good in work (run a PR firm with my wife), house (back in Cornwall) and everything else.

All the best in Guildford - I grew up around there and went to school in the City. Actually a pretty nice area.