cyclo cross or tourer ?

pete dutton
pete dutton Posts: 20
edited June 2008 in Tour & expedition
Hello everybody, I am thinking of doing some touring in Spain and France next year and was wondering if a cyclo cross bike with panniers etc would be a lighter option than a out and out tourer bike equiped similar ? I would be most grateful for your opinions as to the pros and cons of using a cyclo crosser or a tourer. Many thanks, Pete.
p dutton

Comments

• ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    They should be pretty similar machines, although purpose built cyclo-cross bikes don’t usually have mud-guard eyes – and these are handy for fitting a rack even if you don’t use guards themselves.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    You may find a cross bike is not beefy enough in the bottom bracket / rear triangle area (all depends on the model). My audax bike (Reynolds 531c frame) is too flexy if I load it with a full touring load. An Alu frame may be more rigid, of course.
  • garryac
    garryac Posts: 32
    I have my Kona Jake The Snake set up as a tourer and its really very good at it

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/ottocat/4.jpg
  • Just got back from 12 days touring in Brittany. Mrs G and I rode Specialized Tricross Sports (£750) with rear pannier and I had a bar-bag. Also fitted mudguards and there are 3 bottle cage bosses. Perfectly fine with a good range of gears. My kit weighed a total of 40lbs and yes there's a bit of wobble but thats the weight moving rather than the bike flexing. Now I'm back I want some cyclocross tyres, take off the rack and guards and go riding on the local trails.

I just don't feel old enough to buy a Dawes/Thorn/Roberts!