Opinion's On This Bike Please.

Paul Sh
Paul Sh Posts: 607
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
At present i have a mountain bike, now i'm looking for a road bike simply for the odd day out on my own and for fitness reasons, my work is starting another cycle to work scheme, i can only spend up to £400 as i allready have my wifes bike on the same scheme which was £600 (there is a £1000 total limit), i'm limited to using Edinbrugh cycles and the only thing in my price range is this http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 155c002912
The question is, is this bike worth getting in a bid to get me on the road bike ladder, Cheers.

Comments

• iga
    iga Posts: 155
    Anything's good enough to get you on the road bike ladder! Serously, I can't imagine you'd get anything better elsewhere for the price (unless it was seriously discounted). For the price you get decent enough frame, branded components, including STI shifters, and enough money left over to stick mudguards on it for the wet. If it turns out you hate road riding then at least you haven't broken the bank finding out.
    FCN 7
    Aravis Audax, Moulton TSR
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    This was the bike that got me into road cycling 5 years ago. It was called the Revolution Curve back when it first came out (the Continental name still used on the old steel framed version) and came fitted with Tiagra instead of 2200 and Shimano/Mavic wheels (cost a lot more though) but it is exactly the same frame. Stuck a carbon fork on it a while back and it's still going strong after all these years, now used as my regular commuting bike.

It's obviously not the most advanced frame about, but it's not something that wouldn't be worth upgrading parts on as and when they wear out. Certainly a good base to start from.
  • Paul Sh
    Ok thanks lads, will get it ordered, cheers.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    It's also really nice looking! The simple colour scheme, the narrow tubes. Very pretty.
  • Millidog
    Millidog Posts: 32
    Looks OK but you may get an entry level Giant with carbon forks if you can shop around this would give an easier ride also if you`ve been into mountain biking a triple might suit you better
  • Paul Sh
    Ok, a possible change of plan, Edinburgh Cycles, say they can get me a Giant SCR C4 for the same price as the Revolution, they say that the Giant has a better frame with lesser quality components, basically they recommend the Giant over Revoloution, what do you reckon, here is the Giant.
    http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... ctID=12119
  • Denny69
    Denny69 Posts: 206
    Had a look and it's got the same level (and price) as my SCR4 and I find that to be a stunning bike for the price...go for it only you will know if you've bought a good bike. :wink:
    Heaven kicked me out and Hell was too afraid I'd take over!!!

Fighting back since 1975!!

Happy riding

Denny
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    Spec wise it looks very similar to the Revolution but the frame does look much better. I'd have one.
  • Diogenes
    Diogenes Posts: 1,628
    I would go for the better frame, the components will do you for now and can be upgraded as they wear out.

D :D