Anybody get a Planet X through a bike shop recently?

doyler78
doyler78 Posts: 1,951
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
I have been waiting for 6 or more weeks now for my LBS to get Planet X bikes in. Been fitted up and all however they just can't seem to get any frames in from Planet X. I'm really just so close to telling them to cancel my order. The shop blames Planet X and says they are extremely hard to get info out of. Every time I inquire the bikes are due that week but they never materialise.

Anybody else experienced any problem buying a Planet X from a LBS over the last couple of months?

I notice from Planet X's website they always seem to be out of stock of something on their standard spec bike lists. It took them over a month to get Planet B wheels back in stock and no sooner were they in stock than the Model C's have gone out of stock :roll:

I see that they are looking at rolling out two more titanium framed bike over the next few months. Me thinks they would be better of sorting out their stock issues. They've a great product but are being let down by this mismanagement.

END OF RANT. JUST NEEDED TO VENT.

Comments

• There arent any issues our side , we have stock and we have the build queue down to less than a week , so delivery should be quick .

Since all our bikes are custom built then stock isnt an issue , occasionally we run out of an item but we normally have an equivalent replacement , or can do an upgrade .

One issue we do have is with dealers trying to order bikes only to order , in short this is not really the business we are after , and it does tend to go pear shaped . A true planet x dealer should have stock of our standard models on the shop floor , so customers can go touch , feel , and buy the bike on the spot .

When dealers try to buy bikes to order we do tend to get problems and this isnt a business model we want to follow .

Right now things are more complicated since shimano prices from madison have just taken big hike , so when selling through dealers margin is now getting very tight .

Anyone placing a direct order deals directly with us , and we try to have high customer service levels , and extremely knowledgable staff to help get the best spec / fit for the purpose - eg our time trial salesperson is 9 time BBAR Ian Cammish !
  • doyler78
    Dave,

I will email you regarding this however I should point out here that it was on the recommendation of your staff that I went to my LBS therefore to tell me now that I should have gone directly to you galls me a little and I must not allow that to go unchallenged on this forum.

My belief is that "a true planet x dealer" is one which is listed on your website as such therefore if you are not happy with your relationship with your LBS's then please remove this from your website as you are effectively telling customers that you are happy with them. Please see link below from your website:

http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/ind ... ge_id=1048

Scroll to bottom and look under United Kingdom.

I have never questioned the build quality of your bikes or the knowledge of those staff. As someone who has waited weeks, in good faith to get to a point where I can get a bike from you I felt that trying to put more a more bikes out was possibly compromising your ability to effectively manage your stock. I commented on what I seen.
  • Mudcp
    Mudcp Posts: 103
    There arent any issues our side , we have stock and we have the build queue down to less than a week , so delivery should be quick

I ordered a PX Stealth last week, posting off my Cyclescheme voucher (and supplementary cheque...) on Monday 2 June.

I came home today to a card from the couriers saying I'd been out, so with a bit of luck I'll be getting it tomorrow (Tuesday 10 June).

Both Andy and Ian have been extremely helpful through the whole process...

I know this doesn't help Doyler78, but I just wanted to say how lovely Planet-X are...
    ==================

"No amount of poetry could mend this broken heart.
    But you can push the hoover round if you want to make a start"
  • doyler78
    I now seem to be making progress so I will reserve any further judgement until I get my bike or I walk away come the 22 June. Lets do a bit more waiting and see.....
  • RC21
    RC21 Posts: 166
    Mudcp wrote:
    There arent any issues our side , we have stock and we have the build queue down to less than a week , so delivery should be quick

I ordered a PX Stealth last week, posting off my Cyclescheme voucher (and supplementary cheque...) on Monday 2 June.

I came home today to a card from the couriers saying I'd been out, so with a bit of luck I'll be getting it tomorrow (Tuesday 10 June).

Both Andy and Ian have been extremely helpful through the whole process...

I know this doesn't help Doyler78, but I just wanted to say how lovely Planet-X are...

I'm in the same boat as you, I sent off all the stuff last week and had a card saying they tried to deliver it, but to my home address when I asked to have it delivered to my work - this is being sorted out today and I should have it tomorrow. . . .Can't wait!!