Rear disc brake catching slightly.

Zidane
Zidane Posts: 140
edited July 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi, The rear disc brake on my Hardrock 07 sport is catching slightly on the pad, how do I adjust this please and is it a simple job ?
Also how do you correctly check the pads to see if they need replacing ? I daren't mess around with anything before asking as knowing my luck......
Thanks.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have you gad a read of the stickies in the Workshop section?
  • Zidane
    Thanks I had a look in there. I tried altering the pad adjustment screws with an allen key and they seemed to be better until I rode my bike and when braking there was a noise like the rotor was being scraped/scratched.
    I decided to buy some new pads and have set about installing them today but think I am a bit over my head. I have the bike upside down with the wheel off but can't figure out how to get the old pads out, here is a pic I have got from the shimano site showing how to replace them. I thought it looked simple but I am a right fool when it comes to techy stuff like this so any tips would be appreciated.
    Thanks again.

th_52662_brakes_122_173lo.jpg

Edit - I think I might have cracked it, just need the weather to improve for a test spin.
  • switchback18
    switchback18 Posts: 617
    edited April 2009
    Hey. If it's catching in the same way a slight buckle in a rim would catch on v-brake pads, the disc might be slightly warped - if so, can be strightened with an adjustable spanner, but carefully!

Chasing Trails
  • Zidane
    Yeah thanks, I checked the rotor and wheel and both looked true to me. I went a quick spin yesterday in the rain and the new pads performed fine, no catching, plus the shimano pads tended to squeal a bit in the rain but these don't.
    Think I am going to do the front ones as well now I have the confidence to tackle them myself.
  • Zidane
    Had to adjust the rear pad slightly today after I had the wheel of to fix a puncture. It works fine again now but the brake lever has to be pulled quite a bit, how do I tighten this up a little ?
    Thanks.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    adjust the pads with the allen keys.

but first make sure the wheel is correctly seated.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Zidane
    Thanks that's what I have just done, seems ok now but I can't seem to get it feeling just perfect like it was when I picked it up from it's service the other day.