Giant SCR 1.5 or SCR 2

the_razz
the_razz Posts: 8
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
Hi

I'm looking to get a first road bike - as I'm fed up with getting overtaken on my full suss mountain bike on the way to work :(

Have been pleased with Giant bikes in the past - good components for the price, reliable etc. so have narrowed it down to the SCR 1.5 or SCR 2

So for £100 extra is it worth getting the

Shimano Tiagra 34/50 compact over the Truvativ triple set
Shimano Tiagra external BB over a cartridge BB
Shimano A450 brakes over Dual pivot long reach brakes - whatever they are
Carbon seat post over aluminium

TIA

Comments

• deal
    deal Posts: 857
    personally i would get the scr 2 and put the £100 towards a decent set of wheels
  • faaj
    faaj Posts: 66
    agree with above also in the future you could always upgrade the crankset and BB to tiagra which would cost you around 40ish quid of the net (A few people have upgraded them since and i am thinking of too).
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    The differences:
    - carbon seat post
    - no pedals
    - budget Shimano brakes over budget Tektro brakes
    - fewer gears
    - Tiagra hollowtech compact chainset over Truvativ triple w/square taper BB

The last one is the only difference that really matters IMHO.

On the Compact vs Triple chainset: plenty of opinions if you search the forum archives, but those who have the triple will cite the option of bail-out gears for climbing steep hills. If you ride in Norfolk that might not be top priority.

Those who prefer the compact like having only two chainrings, I guess it simplifies front shifting, if nothing else (no idea if it's better as a result). The spread of gears is almost the same, but there's a bigger jump when changing between the front rings.

In the end it may come down to something simpler - colour: black & blue or grey & white. You choose.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • huggy
    huggy Posts: 242
    £100 towards clipless pedals and shoes or something like that may be better, I'm sure once you get a road bike you'll immediately think of other 'racey' things you might want for it :)
  • the_razz
    the_razz Posts: 8
    Simon E wrote:
    In the end it may come down to something simpler - colour: black & blue or grey & white. You choose.

:D Cheers guys for your help - I think you're right - the blue and black wins it
    And upgrade as and when
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    the_razz wrote:
    the blue and black wins it
    And upgrade as and when
    Let us know when it arrives - and what you think of it.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.