Hybrid...Have I found the right bike?

nebular
nebular Posts: 8
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
I've been looking to get a road bike as I do the majority of my riding now on roads, and find my mountain bike (with slightly smoother tyres) to sluggish. However I'm being quite picky as I don't want just a standard racer as I intend on using it for both exercise rides and longer expeditions that could involve strapping a panier to the side (not likely to occur frequently.) Before people start telling me I should go for something like a Dawes Galaxy or Audax, the problem with these bikes is that, in reference to what I've said above, despite obviously being great for touring, to me they don't fit the criteria I have for wanting to use the bike for 'fast' exercise also, so to speak. In other words, for want of a better phrase, they look more suited for an older rider.

This leads me to my main point, I've been looking into Hybrid bikes, and have taken quite an interest in the Specialized Sirrus. In terms of what I've read in reviews, and on general inspection, it seems ideally suited to meeting the points I've made above. The only thing that comes to mind to change would be seeing how some drop handle bars fit it.

I've seen a few of these on eBay but, as this message shows, I am being most cautious before I buy. Therefore any advice would be great. Thanks

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    An audax bike like one with the Ribble winter frame will take panniers and is far far far more racier than a hybrid.

dsc00715800x600iu6dq4.jpg

Does that look sluggish or old man like? It's definitely better than a crappy hybrid with flat bars for "'fast' exercise". I'd be quite happy to road race or time trial on it.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Wot Reddragon said.

Added to which, they are an absolute bargain whether you go for one of the special editions or a completely custom job using their bikebuilder option.

They do a 9 speed Mirage version for £400!!!
  • Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    There are plenty of "proper" (for want of a better word) road bikes that will take a rack and panniers. There doesn't seem much point in buying a flat barred bike if you're already thinking of spending a lot of money changing them for drops.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    You realise a heavier bike will actually give you a harder workout, right? I rode my ex's half-ton sit-up-and-beg monstrosity to her workplace a few weeks ago and almost had a heart attack!
  • Shimnolo
    Shimnolo Posts: 10
    Redddragon,

That's a fine looking machine. I've never taken much notice of the Ribble adverts but maybe I will in future. Which groupset is it running?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Shimnolo wrote:
    Redddragon,

That's a fine looking machine. I've never taken much notice of the Ribble adverts but maybe I will in future. Which groupset is it running?

A mixture of Veloce 08 and Centaur 06, picked up bits when and where I could get them cheap.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I (re)started road riding on a hybrid. Great for a while, but I soon wanted the benefits of drop handlebars (tuck against wind, variable hand positions etc..) The only advantage I can see for straight bars would be if you ride all the time in cities and need to be on the brakes most of the time.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Yup agree with pneumatic. I have hybrid at the moment but I am in the process of changing to a sportive bike for weekend rides and when my cycle to work scheme is up and running next month I will be getting a bike for my commute.

Once you have done a winter of commuting on a flat bar you begin to appreciate aerodynamics much more :wink:
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Something that seems to be very popular at the moment is this:

Specialized Tricross13089_1_Zoom.jpg

A good all rounder, that can handle rougher surfaces than the average racer, has a triple chainset, is comfy and suitable for distance work.

BTW, no, I don't work for Specialized, nor do I own one of these - just seen a lot of them around
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I have a specialized (but not a tricross) and I have to say that there is something about their kit (bikes, shoes, clothing the lot) that is really well thought-out.

A mate of mine has just bought a Tricross for commuting (on country roads), touring and day rides. He had access to a lot of technical advice before making his choice (and it has taken him about 2 years to make up his mind). Haven't heard yet in person how he is getting on with it, but he flew past the house the other night with a grin on his face!

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    There are a number of good all rounder bikes. This is the a good one, which is why I bought it !

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... t-tk-28905
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    morrisje wrote:
    There are a number of good all rounder bikes. This is the a good one, which is why I bought it !

I've just bought a Racelight TK as well. Enjoying it very much!