Loose chippings and punctures - advice needed

Alibran
Alibran Posts: 370
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
Following on from the loose chippings topic, we're having a major problem with them in our part of Cornwall now. So far, we've managed to plan our routes to avoid riding on them, but now every route out of our village has them, and I'm not sure what to do.

I've read several comments about tar and small stones sticking to the tyres and the stones working their way in, which will presumably cause punctures, so my immediate reaction was to get tyres with puncture protection, since we can't avoid riding on the chippings now. But everything I look at is so expensive. We really can't afford to buy 4 new tyres at around £20 a time, so I'm not sure what to do.

The bikes were £500 each, so I'm assuming the Bontrager Select tyres that are on them are pretty basic and won't stand up to much "loose chippings" treatment. (In fact, one already has a small cut, and I was considering replacing it.) Although my partner could afford to be without her bike for a couple of days while we replaced tyres, I use mine for commuting, so I don't want to risk punctures or, worse, not being able to use it while I wait for new tyres to arrive.

I did find the Vittoria Rubino Pro on Wiggle, which I think I've read some good things about, and isn't too expensive, but they only have them in 700x23, and I'm quite attached to my 700x25s - the roads around here are pretty rough, and I'm not sure that I could handle narrower tyres. I've also looked at the Conti Gators, but the price is a bit shocking even if I bought the sets of 2.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

(Despite the initial cost, and despite how it might sound, I'd rather take the current tyres off before they get damaged and still have them to use when the roads improve, rather than wait until they're full of holes and then replace them.)

Comments

• Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    Loose chippings are a pain but generally they are not sharp (not like Norfolk flints anyway). If you have the tires up to pressure (90 - 110 psi) they should not be a problem.

Listen to your tires - stop immediately when you here the click / click of a stuck on chipping and get rid before it can start to work in.

Small cuts are normal on road tires (depending how you define small) as is the odd puncture. Just part of the deal really - carry a spare tube, pump and levers and it's a ten minute job to fix a puncture.

So - I would keep your current tires and see how it goes.

Cheers
    Steve
  • W5454
    W5454 Posts: 133
    Edinburgh Bike Co-op sell rolls of Kevlar that go twixt tyre and tube.
    £10 for 2 wheels.